Wednesday, July 11, 2007

To the Youngs and the Ferrills....

Hey guys, I know this is selfish, but I'm glad your travels don't start until we're home, so I can read all about your trips, too! All your comments have been so sweet and encouraging - THANK YOU!
To answer your questions....
Ramen Noodles - they're everywhere, and come in a handy little cup (fork included) - just pour boiling water in it. Super easy!
Heat - it is very hot and humid here in Guangzhou (Hunan was more dry), but I would imagine your home state being similar. It might not be all that unusal to you.

Really, you can buy everything here - you'll find little grocery stores here on the Island, and in the province as well. And if there is a Carrefour or Walmart where you go, you're set anyway. Lots of good cookies, crackers, sodas, juice, fruit and everyday necessities.... you name it. Just bring enough to get you by until you can get to a store. I have been surprised by the selection.
Bring your own batteries - we had to buy some at the hotel in Changsha, and they lasted about 6 hours!!

While I'm at it - I might as well do a toy run-down on what has worked well for us.
Top of the list: Bubbles ( we have used 1 of the Gazillion Bubbles from WalMart), Stacking cups (she loves them in the bathtub and for snacks), and after a while the travel sized Magna Doodle, Balloons (bought them here), Markers (bought them here) and paper, stickers. Loves her backpack (bought it here)
So -so: Beads and Duplos (loved them at first, now doesn't play with them much)
Not a hit: little animals, lacing animals, stuffed animals and dolls

Do I have your passwords to your travel sites? I definitely don't want to miss out on any of your travel details! Can't wait!
Happy packing to both your families!
Barb

3 comments:

Buffi Young said...

Barb,
You are SO kind to be thinking of us!! What a blessing to have your fresh perspective. I may go through and do a little unpacking since we might not need so much! We are going to keep the same blog, so you will not need a password. I have added a subcription button on there so you can receive the updates by email. I have no clue how it will work yet. But, if you can access our blog, you'll get them. I wanted to make sure there are several ways to access the info. What a joy it has been to follow your journey to Nina. She is precious. I hope you continue to update after you're home. What a blessing it would be to meet one day!! Thanks again. We appreciate you thinking of us!!!
Love,
Buffi

The Ferrill's said...

Barb how sweet! Thank you for all the great info! I think I'm going to repack for the THIRD time now! I was bringing a ton of EasyMac-n-Cheese!
Great advice on the toys, too! Your blog is a Godsend, Barb, and so are you! I love how God has linked adoptive families across the globe through this process!
I'm not sure if I sent you the info or not, Barb..so I'm emailing you our username/password to the site we'll use in China. We will probably use blogger too, it just depends.
WOW, almost time to come back to the States with Nina! Wish I lived close so we could welcome you home at the airport!
Love,
Laine

Anonymous said...

Barb,
I have loved reading your blog and get on my computer every morning to see what you have added. I had a quick question about clothing sizes. What size is Nina wearing right now? I assume Rosa Xiangsu will be about the same size although maybe slimmer because her report said she was thinner then other children. I especially appreciated your insight about the bonding and set backs which will help us I am sure when we go. We are still waiting on LOA very impatiently but know God must have a reason why we have to wait so long.
: ) Amy Smith