Sunday, July 29, 2007

Home TWO weeks


I have been wanting to reflect on the first 2 weeks as a family of 7. I actually have been putting this post off, because it is pretty personal and kind of difficult to put into words what I'm feeling.
But now I have this gorgeous picture of Miss Nina - isn't she RADIANT?? - and it may just be the right time.
I'll give it a try...

I expected Nina's transition into our family to be difficult. And at times it was, especially that first week in Changsha.
The big mistake I made though was to focus my thoughts on HER alone. Let me explain: I felt ready to help HER become a part of our now rather large family. I thought about how to include HER into our daily activities, and how to introduce HER to our extended family and friends.

When we came home, I was caught off guard. Nina made herself at home fairly easily. Really, she was a trooper. She loved the attention, she took to her new siblings right away, she was comfortable in our house and didn't act like a stranger at all. The ones who struggled were our other kids and ME!

All of a sudden I had thoughts like "Who is this three year old stranger in my house?", or all I wanted was hanging out with my children I KNEW so well. The bond I had felt with Nina while we were in China felt so insignificant. So small. So new. And it was hard. Very hard. I felt like I had the total Baby Blues (is there such a thing as Adoption Hormones? There's GOT to be!)

On the other hand there were our 4 kids who had been without us for up to three weeks. There was the anticipation of our return. The anticipation of the new sister they had waited for and prayed for. And when it all finally happened, they crumbled. Kind of. There was lots of crying at our house the first couple of days after we came home, and everyones emotions were pretty crazy.

That first week was not what I had expected. I did not anticipate the needs everyone had, I had always just thought about Nina's needs. Boy was I off! By the end of the week, I was so worn out emotionally that I would just sit down and cry once all the kids were in bed and asleep. It was so hard to take care of everybody's needs - I did not want anyone to feel left out, unloved, loved less, or a combination of all three. Add to the mix that we were tired and somewhat jet-lagged (not bad, though), and Mike got quite sick a couple of days after we got home.

It was like Satan was trying to steal all our joy, to destroy the bond we had begun to build with Nina and to whisper the lie into my ear that our family would not be whole again. Once I realized what was happening I was able to pray against that, and now, at the end of week 2, I can start to see how things are slowly coming together. I have to remind myself that we followed the path the Lord had laid in front of us. His plan. And he is still in charge. Of my emotions. Of my kids. Of my family.

Why am I sharing all of this? Because I hardly ever read about this kind of stuff. I was not prepared well for this part of Nina's adoption. It is my hope and prayer that it will help others to be encouraged, and to prepare themselves for a ride that continues to be wild and unpredictable even after you survive the long trip home from China.

*****Deutsche Version: www.chinagirlswitzerland.blogspot.com Titel: 2 Wochen *****

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barb, I admire you for your honesty; your truth about exhaustion, heart felt frustration, anticipations and realizations. All that you've written speaks mountains of love...unconditional love. The strength of that powerful love which comes from deep within, supplied from a source beyond ourselves, will never let you down. And your beautiful family will continue to flourish because of it! Wow!...I could go on and on; because of who you are, Barb, and your complete honesty about it you ARE a huge inspiration for so many people! Judy Combs

Musings from Kim K. said...

Barb - I can't thank you enough for your honesty. I hope you continue to post these kind of entries in your blog. It's very rare to find someone who's willing to be as honest as you are about the "whole" process. I find myself nodding, taking notes, and wiping away tears, as I read through your entries. Keep them coming!!

Blessings,
Kim Kenward
http://youbelong.net/thekenwards

Anonymous said...

Thank you again for sharing your deepest feelings with us and being so honest!
I still love reading your postings, they sound so REAL if you know what I mean?

LOVELY PHOTO!!!


Love,
Yvonne

Anonymous said...

This is so common, Barb. It's kind of the unspoken `elephant in the living room.' Everyone who has adopted knows it's there, but no one wants to be the one who admits that everything is not balloons and happiness. When we adopted our second child, I cannot tell you how many times in the first couple of months I wondered if I had "ruined" my family and whether we would ever find real joy again. It really does come, even if it seems to be a slow process. The adoption blues you speak of are well documented as `post adoption depression syndrome.' (There is an entire chapter devoted to it in the book Adoption Parenting that some agencies list as required reading.) I will keep you in my prayers, but please know that this really is temporary, and you will do just fine in the long run.
Blessings,
Linda Shoemate

Hanna said...

Ich habe es doch richtig verstanden, aber danke für die Übersetzung!!
Was Du schreibst, sind Gedanken, die wir uns oft gestellt haben. Wie ist es wohl dann zu fünft? Es sind Gedanken, die mir oft gekommen sind, als ich mit meinen Tageskindern überfordert gewesen war (wäre ich doch nur mit meinen eigenen Kids alleine!). Ich kann mir diesen Zerriss des Herzens so gut vorstellen - und wir Mütter neigen dann dazu, dass wir nur noch die Bedürfnisse der andern sehen, uns selber total in den Hintergrund stellen. Das Gefühl des Aufgefressen-werdens - so nenne ich dies dann jeweils. Aber es ist soooo wichtig, unsere eigenen Bedürfnisse wahrzunehmen und auch umzusetzen (ohne egoistisch zu sein!). Dies kann nur eine Viertelstunde lesen in einer ruhigen Ecke sein. Ich wünsche Dir von Herzen, dass Du dieses Gleichgewicht findest und es Dir und dann auch euch allen wohl ist!
liebe Grüsse
Hanna

Anonymous said...

Hi it's Melissa F from your travel group. I understand what you are saying. I had these feelings as well when we first got home. I really think it is normal. I love your blog by the way!

The Ferrill's said...

Barb! I haven't totally caught up on your blog yet, but just had to post a comment after reading this. I just updated my blog and then read yours and this makes me feel so much better. I know I'm not alone and not crazy. In my post on my blog, I touched on how I am "grieving" the old life. You know exactly what I'm talking about! I just love you, Barb! Thank you for all your encouragement during our trip to China! ALL your children are so precious!
Love,
Laine

Buffi Young said...

Hey Barb...what a beautiful picture of Nina. I am SO thankful that you are sharing your heart on your blog. It makes me realize that what we are going through is normal...and will pass. It has been a difficult time the last 4 days. Our son said he wanted to send Sadie back to China. I felt so bad for both of them in that moment. This adjustment is hard for all of us. Having friends like you and all of our other blogging buddies is such a blessing. I appreciate your encouragement and wisdom!!! Maybe all of our families will be able to meet one day!! Have a great week!
Love,
Buffi