Sunday, July 22, 2007

First Sunday at Church


Today we took Nina to Church for the first time. She has done so well with being in large groups of people that we felt comfortable enough to take her (and of course the other kiddos as well!)
She did fine, stayed close by, but was open to others too and gave out some of her cute grins and giggles.
While I'm glad she did fine, I also realize that we truly are in the beginning stages of her attachment to us. Yes, she likes us, she looks to us for help and comfort, but I don't feel that her attachment is exclusive at this point.
I wish it was.
We need to continue to nurture, love and support her, so her initial attachment can turn into an exclusive bond. While I was talking to Mike about this, he made a profound statement about an infant not having a choice but being taken care of. I think he is so right - Nina CAN chose to push us away, she CAN prefer her sister over me, because she is a toddler with her own little will (and boy, is she opinionated!!). I'm looking forward to this little seedling of trust and attachment to grow stronger and more beautiful. I think we're off to a great start, but because she is doing so well it would be easy to take our eyes off the tasks ahead.
We can't.
I'm ready to head into this new week, and I want to keep my eyes on the one who loved us when we were his enemies.
Here is a picture of our Sunday Gang. I have to admit, they were unwilling participants in this photo shoot, as it is very hot here today, and they did NOT enjoy the scorching sun one bit.
But the proud and happy Mama I am, I wanted to capture my handsome and beautiful children in a picture!

1 comment:

Sonya said...

VERY CUTE picture!!! Love when you see the real deal!

Sonya