Thursday, July 3, 2008

One year reflections

One year ago, two red thumbprints and a read handprint sealed Nina's adoption. We were going to be bound to each other forever. There was so much anticipation, so much love, and the willingness to commit to this little stranger that we had just met, but that had totally won us over in less than 24 hours.

Now, after a year has passed, she is definitely part of our family. I would like to share some of my thoughts and my heart here, because that's what I have promised myself to do, and not to leave out some of the tough stuff.

The first few weeks at home were very draining, you may remember some of my posts about that time. Our older kids crashed after the "anticipation high", and everyone scrambled to find their new spot, and to fit Nina into the picture. They all reacted in different ways, but eventually came out of that adjustment fog. For some it took longer, but I'm so thankful to say that I truly believe they have found their inner balance again.

Nina adjusted easily, it seemed. This still really amazes me, given the huge change this was in her life, and how she just kind of went with the flow, loving all those new experiences.

For me, it was such a blessing to have Big'e Anja (I don't know if we'll ever stop calling her that *LOL*) here, just to have that extra set of hands and her friendship.... (we love you, girl!).

The second half of our first year together has been more difficult in many ways, as well as easier in others. The biggest obstacle I think I have found is myself. My bonding process to my little girl is still ongoing, and I struggle with that. I had this image of myself being the oh-so-loving super-adoptive-Mom, and trust me, I'm not. Yes, I do love Nina, absolutely, and I'm so glad she is here, but there is still a good portion of that based on commitment, and of doing the right thing. We have beautiful moments of a deepening emotional connection, but there is still room to grow. I think this is definitely the challenge in adopting a preschooler - you meet them at a point in their lives when you typically deal with some really annoying age-related behaviors (whining, defiance and temper-tantrums...) without having had the benefits of the "cute and cuddly" kind of baby phase. I find that I don't have much tolerance for those behaviors, and they annoy me more than I'd like to admit. I seriously don't know how God puts up with all his adopted children, because he NEVER gets us at the "cute-and-cuddly" stage - EVER!! Yet his love is so complete and so selfless and shining so brightly and I marvel at that. I know that the more I dwell in HIS presence, the more I will have the strength to be the Mom he wants me to be. I have been lacking greatly in this area. The devil has been very successful in whispering all kinds of lies to my heart. And I know the Lord is just waiting for me to realize that I can't do it with my own strength. I have done a good job trying, and I just does not work!!

A few days ago I watched a photoshow that Julie, the Love without Boundaries foster care coordinator for the City of Loudi, had put together. She visited Loudi in the spring, and seeing the pictures of the places Nina had lived in for so long, was very emotional. I was able to send some pictures of Nina with Julie, and in one of Julie's photos it shows the orphanage staff looking at Nina's pictures. Talk about a Mama being a total mess!! It's so easy to forget how very different her life had been until a year ago.

I really believe that she loves being here. For the most part, anyway :-).
She still LOVES to color, but boy is she a perfectionist! She can have a complete meltdown over a little rip in a piece of paper, or a unwanted scribble on her picture. She is very impatient with herself, and if she doesn't succeed right away, she'll throw a fit and completely destroy the object of her desire. She does a great job playing games and taking turns, and she really likes to help, and I can always count on her doing little chores if I ask her to.

She is very much a girly-girl, and loves anything pretty :-). We're thinking about putting her in ballet lessons in the fall - I think she may enjoy it better than soccer!

We have some mealtime struggles that we are trying to work through (control/power issues), but she continues to like pretty much all foods! We will be going to our favorite chinese restaurant tonight to celebrate her adoption day!

I just found out that she will have a spot in a preschool class in the fall, and I'm very happy about that. It will be at our local center for early intervention, and although she does not need any early intervention services, she will benefit from that environment and the knowledge of the staff there (plus they have THE KILLER playground!!!!!). They were such a lifesaver for me when Alex went through their early intervention program, and I'm looking forward to going back there with Nina. She is very, very excited about going!

She is very torn between wanting to be little, and stay little, and wanting to be big like Anya or Mama. I assure her all the time that she can stay little as long as she wants to, and that seems very comforting to her, but that someday she will want to be big.

Really, over all she is doing wonderfully, and maybe I just need someone to smack me over the head and tell me to get my big girl panties on (Mike thinks I'm way too hard on myself :-) ).I do much better when I focus on the blessings than on the difficult moments, and I DO believe that things will continue to improve. I mean, they are not bad AT ALL, and I feel kind of silly putting it that way, but hey, there you have your honest one year assessment :-))
Updated measurements as of 7/8: Weight: 32 pounds (14.5kg); Height: 40 inches (101.6cm). She has grown 1 1/4 inch in 6 months, and gained 1 pound.

I just love the support of all you blog readers, and you guys mean so much to me. Thanks for letting me share my heart, and not judging me for it (if you do, don't tell me *ha*). Thanks for rejoicing with us, and praying with us, and being on this journey with us.....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such an emotional, beautiful post Barb! You're doing wonderfully!!!
Nina is so lucky to be part of your family!!


Yvonne

Musings from Kim K. said...

Thank you for your honest reflections, Barb. I so enjoy reading your blog. What an amazing year it has been. Thanks for keeping it real. I'm looking forward to this year's adventures with Nina and gang.

Love,
Kim K.

Buffi Young said...

Barb...you communicate so beautifully!! I, like you, should focus more on the positives too. It is so easy in the daily grind to look at how far we have to go, instead of how far we have come! Thanks for sharing your heart about the attachment on your part. I don't think too many people communicate about this. That "commitment" kind of love is never thought of when we think of loving our kids...but I think it is a HUGE part of adoption. There are many days when that emotional love is not present...and I just have to commit to love. It is very different. But, I know with time, that love will grow to full fruition...on both sides!!!

On another note...last night I think we connected with Sadie's foster brothers soon to be adopted parents. They are supposed to get him in August. I am VERY exctied. I really look forward to connecting with them, for Sadie's sake!

Hope you and your family have a wonderful 4th of July! What a blessing it has been to connect with you guys over the past year, and watch Nina grow into such a vital part of your family!! What a blessing!!! Before long...it will be Gotcha Day celebration #2!!! Hey...time flies that fast!!! Talk to you soon!
Love,
Buffi

Sherri said...

Barb,

I appreciate your honesty. I think there are lots of people out there who feel just the same way you feel but just don't feel comfortable sharing it. What you said about adopting a preschooler is SPOT ON. When I tell people that this has been the hardest year of my life, they respond, "REALLY?" And I wonder how anyone can not think that adopting a preschooler would be difficult. But then again, I didn't really expect it to be like it was.

So, be patient.....don't be hard on yourself. You're ahead of the game because you are openly dealing with what you are feeling.....and that's much better than burying it.

I think Nina will LOVE ballet. Olivia took it last year, and Mia will start this fall.

Have a great day!

Sherri

Linda said...

The picture is beautiful, Barb. You are so artistic, and I just love seeing what you put up on your blog.

I too appreciate your honesty. I think you are not alone in your struggles and feelings. I have come to realize more and more that we CHOOSE to be nice and make things work, and the REAL feelings develop from there. (Unfortunately, there are too many times when I CHOOSE to be irritable and gripy!!) I think Mike is right in that you are being too hard on yourself. You are such a good mom, and I enjoy seeing and hearing of the things you do with your kids.

Anonymous said...

Dear Babs
I can`t believe that it`s already one year ago since Nina day!
Thank you for sharing all those bad and good things with us. It`s so cool to know what happens on the other side of the world. =)
I`m very tense of what will happen.
Greetings from Niederbottigen
Nadi
p.s. you`re a very good photographer, hats off!