Sunday, July 1, 2007

Hello from the rice bowl and fishpond of China

Hunan is an inland province. It's name means Hu = lake, and Nan = south, because most of its area is south of the Dongting lake. Hunan covers an area of 211,800 square kilometers (81,775 square miles) and has a population of about 65 million people. Changsha is the capital city. Endowed by natural resources and abundant agricultural products, Hunan is known as the "rice bowl" and the "fishpond" of China. There are 5,341 rivers and streams in Hunan. This province is also rich in mineral resources. Of the 160-odd kinds of minerals already discovered in the world, 141 kinds have been found in Hunan.

I'm pretty smart, huh?? Well, I'll give away my secret - when we arrived in Changsha today, our guide Daphne had a little booklet ready for us with all the information we could possibly need for our stay. And this info about Hunan was in there. I found this very interesting, as we could see a lot of this rich and fertile area as we flew into Hunan this morning. It was a beautiful flight, way up in the sky (obviously *ha*), where the sky was blue and not covered by an unhealthy haze. As we started descending into Changsha, we could see how green and mountainous the area is, we saw what I believe to be rice fields, and it really hit me that I'm entering my daughter's homeland. I feel honored to be here and it is my wish to absorb this area into my heart and let it become a part of me, just like Nina will become a part of me. Changsha seems quite different from Guangzhou, more open with just a little bit more space available, and somehow kept up a bit nicer too. The driving is just as crazy, and we just love to go on taxi rides!

We got settled on the 31st floor of the Dolton Hotel, which is very nice. We met up with the family that we had met on our international flight, and their travel group is staying on the same floor. I forsee lots of playtime in the hallway in the next few days!

Daphne took us to a local restaurant and ordered some food for us. This area is known for its very spicy food, and she referred to Nina as our "Spicy Girl". Oh boy, was she right. She ordered some mild dishes for us, and whewww, I'm sure glad she did. Talk about sweat pouring out of you and throat and sinuses burning.... it was so delicious, but definitely hotter than I'm used to. Mike fared a little better, as he is not quite such a wuss when it comes to spicy foods. I really enjoy the atmosphere in the restaurants here. There always seems to be such a quiet elegance about it, in the way the staff takes care of you and gracefully floats around the room. Again I'm so impressed with their gift of showing hospitality.

Later on we went to a supermarket to get some snacks and water, and she showed us where we can get supplies for Nina depending on what she needs tomorrow. I think Mike and I could have spent a long time in there, just taking it in and window shop. Some things are familiar (well, a toothbrush always looks like a toothbrush), but of course many things are strange and unfamiliar, especially in the meat department *shiver*.

It is very hot here, but not as humid as in Guangzhou. It was in the 90's today, and is supposed to be over 100 degrees in the next few days. Just like some good Wyoming summer weather!! Oh, and by the way, Mom, my feet LOVE the humidity here! Thought you might like to know :-)))

We are all ready for tomorrow - we had to do a little bit of paperwork, and know the gameplan. Nina will leave Loudi in the morning with staff from the orphanage, and it's a 3 hours drive for them to come here. Most likely this is the first time she travels this far. We are scheduled to meet her at 10am. We have a crib for her in our room, although I don't see her using it - I would prefer to keep her with us at night, but it's kind of sweet to see it being all ready for her, including her new blankie, Bunny, Nuschi, Pj's and everything she could need as one of our kiddos :-).

We have also received her finding ad. And that's a very bittersweet memento, but so very precious. When abandoned babies are found, the province is required to run an ad in the paper, saying that a baby has been found. If no one claims her within 2 months, she is officially declared an orphan. She looked like such a healthy little baby with a head of black hair. Nico, you finally have a companion in the "born-with-lots-of-hair" department! She was definitely not a baldy like all your other siblings!

I'm thinking a lot about Nina's foster mother tonight. What thoughts are going through her mind? Is a sense of gratitude mixed with a deep feeling of loss in her heart tonight? She gave a little girl the selfless gift of belonging and stabilty, all the while knowing that it would not be forever. What a willingness to love and to let go. I have such an appreciation for her! Will she tuck BoBo in bed - just one last time? Will she feel her little arms around her neck, knowing that it will never be like this again? Does she feel relief and joy that her job is done and that Bo will finally have a family to belong to forever?
I may never know... all I know that I'm completely overcome with emotion right now, and I feel like I'm getting a glimpse into God's own heart. He has orchestrated this from before the beginning of the world, and he has loved Bo enough to stir our hearts to pursue her adoption. Not that I pride myself to be the perfect Mama out there, but God matched us through his grace.

"Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the Lord rises upon you. See, darkness covers the earth and thick darkness is over the peoples, BUT THE LORD RISES UPON YOU AND HIS GLORY APPEARS OVER YOU. Lift up your eyes and look about you: All assemble and come to you; your sons come from afar, and your daughters are carried on the arm. Then you will look and be radiant, your heart will throb and swell with joy! They are the shoot I have planted FOR THE DISPLAY OF MY SPLENDOR." from Isaiah 60

Good night, my friends! We love to read all your comments, they mean a lot to us!

Here are some pictures again from our day - enjoy!


Our plane/ unser Flugzeug

The view we had descending into Hunan / Die Sicht auf Hunan waehrend dem Sinkflug

Our Spicy lunch... doesn't it look yummy? / Unser SEHR scharfes Mittagessen. Es was so fein!

Nina's crib, all ready! / Nina's Kinderbett steht bereit!

Our hotel room / Unser Zimmer

****Deutsche Uebersetzung***** - www.chinagirlswiterland.blogspot.com Titel: Hunan

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Babsi & Mike,

I am enjoying reading your blog every single day, it's like being there in China myself right now and going through everything at the same time, your picture everything so well!
I will be thinking of you guys tomorrow, what a special day!
Good luck and I keep my fingers crossed for everything!
All the best to you! And esp. for Nina also, she must go through lots of emotions at the same time...

All our love,
Yvonne & kids in Germany

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's the pregnacy hormones or maybe it's how real you make your adventure, I'm not sure, but every time I read your blog I feel like crying. I am so thrilled for you, Mike, and the kiddos, and I guess our family too. What day is it there? Do you get Nina today or tomorrow? It is Sunday at 12:14. I need a time difference.
Thinking of you and we can't wait for the next update. Kacie

The Ferrill's said...

Again another perfect update! I, too, feel that I am there with you! I have butterflies because you are so close to little Nina! YAY! The thoughts you have about her foster mother are thoughts I have, too. I am praying for a smooth transition and sweet gotcha day!
Love,
Laine

Anonymous said...

Oh Barb!!

I almost feel like i'm "addicted" to your site. It is Soooo fun and informational for not only me, but my kids. Thank you soooo much for sharing what you share, and being open and willing to do so. We are praying right along side of you. Do wish i knew what the time difference was as well.
Take care and God Bless you All!!
Welcome home soon Nina!!
-Allison

Anonymous said...

Hey Barb & Mike I am so glad to read your blog and see your neat pictures. I just wanted to let you know that our thought and prayers go out to you both when you get to meet your daughter. I know that she couldnt have gotten better parents and siblings to go come home to. I am so excited for you and your family. And I am also glad to read that you are having a great time in China. Enjoy the rest of your trip! Heather Green & Family