Monday, September 3, 2007

2 months ago...

...this beautiful little girl became officially and legally our daughter. If you want to look back to that day you can go here . To keep things simple we decided to "celebrate" our official adoption date, and not "Nina Day", which would have been yesterday. As I get older and more forgetful (after all, the big 4 - 0 is only a couple of years away.... yikes!) it's just easier to remember one date only *ha*.
Anyways... last night, after the kids were asleep, I watched our "Nina Day" video footage for the first time. That was pretty emotional. Now that I know her so much better and I'm more familiar with her various facial expressions, watching her before and during our "receiving ceremony" was just heartbreaking. The uncertainty and fear in her eyes is so evident to me now. They are expressions that I don't see anymore. Now she is much more relaxed and trusting and full of joy. She has changed so much! And for that I'm grateful!
Today we invited my parents-in-law over to watch all our China video with us. Nina seemed okay with it, and my mother-in-law stated how she didn't think Nina remembered the emotions of that day. I was wondering whether she did or not. Well guess what? It may have been to early.... Mike and her took a nap after the videos were over, and during her nap she developed what sounded like Asthma. She was coughing and wheezing, and it got better after a breathing treatment once she was awake again. Coincidence? I think not. She has done this several times now that she developed some "mystery illness" in moments of stress.
It's such a fine line to walk.
On one hand, everything is still so new, and obviously fragile.
On the other hand I see more and more how she is becoming "one of the five". The kids have their sibling squabbles, she tattles on the other kids, they laugh and play together, and I feel like our relationship is moving onto solid ground. To find the balance between the two though is such a guessing game. I'm so thankful that the Lord fills those gaps and our inadequacies!
Something interesting happened a week ago, when we ate a local chinese restaurant. Our waiter tried to speak in Chinese to Nina, and she immediately grabbed my arm, ducked down shyly and just gave him a tiny little grin. It seemed like it caught her off guard, that someone would speak her "old" language in her "new" environment. I so know the feeling. Every so often I run into people from Switzerland, and sometimes I cannot even utter an intelligent sentence in Swiss German - just because I don't expect that language in my Wild West environment. In a way I found this little episode encouraging. Obviously she has somewhat moved on and is comfortable where she is at.

Later on today, after a MEAN waterfight that left everyone SOAKING wet (including Grandma and Grandpa - in fact, they STARTED it!!) Anya and Nina dressed up. They looked so cute together! "The pirate and her gypsy sidekick" is what Mike called the two sisters :-)) I love the way Nina looks up at Anya. She thinks the world of her big sister!

And yes, I DID make some applesauce. Not as much as I would have liked, but I got a good start!
I know you all have been wondering *ha*..

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barb,
I have been following your blog for a long time. I love your writing and reading about your family come together has been a privilege. The transformation in Nina is so evident through the pictures you take. I remember reading the journal when you were traveling and you got Nina a backpack. When I clicked on the picture you just posted I saw that same bright green (or is it yellow) backpack hanging on the stairs. I know it wasn't on purpose but after reading your post it really seemed symbolic. Congratulations on your two month anniversary! You are so very blessed, and the wonderful thing is that you know it!
God Bless,
Samantha

Buffi Young said...

I can't believe it's been two months for you guys!!! How awesome. Nina has come SO far!!! I know she just loves your family. Honestly...I don't know what I would do without the siblings. They help SO much. I know yours do too!!! You are so brave to get that video out. I haven't even gotten pictures out yet. Just waiting for the right time. Hopefully we'll know for sure!!! Hope your applesauce is good!!! Is sure sounds good!! Have a great week!
Buffi

Sonya said...

Happy Two Month Day! It is so wild to look back at the early pictures of Katie Lin....I sooooooo know what you are talking about!

Sonya

Anonymous said...

Hi Barb,
I am so looking forward to those milestones with Susu (1 month, 2 months, 6 months, 1 year, etc). I am so excited about meeting Susu but I am also sad because I know how hard it is going to be for her. We got to transition our son over a month long period when we adopted him and that was so good. Susu gets no transition and that is the biggest negative about adopting from China in my opinion. That and having no information about birth family. Anyway, I just wanted to say that reading about Nina's transition on your blog has been a great help and comfort. She is a beautiful little girl and her smiling eyes say so much about the love she has gotten in the past and the love she is now receiving from your family.
Amy

Linda said...

Congratulations to Nina & Family!! She is obviously a very happy little girl.

We didn't have video from our trips, but I do remember that after we had had Ruthie for about three months, I let her look through the photo album with me. I had just put in the new China travel pictures and was quite anxious to see if Ruthie would recognize them. I definitely got more than I bargained for. When she saw the orphanage workers she literally gasped and grew very solemn. She drew inside of herself for the rest of the evening, and we decided to put up the album until she was a little older. Three years later, I still haven't shown her those particular pictures again. Just too painful. I think they remember all kinds of things, and we just hope that in time the more difficult memories will fade.

The Ferrill's said...

Barb I feel the same way you do when you say "it's such a fine line to walk, on one hand everything is still so new and obviously fragile, on the other hand I see more and more how she is becoming one of the five". you just put things so perfectly. I'm so glad one of us has enough brain cells left to put all this on "paper"! Thank you for sharing, and Nina really HAS come a long way. I know you are so proud of your brave little girl!
Praise God!
Love,
Laine