Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Who am I ?

It has GOT to be hard work for a little three year old's mind to sort through what happened to her in the past three months.
Nina has done amazingly well with the transition into our family.
Really, I'm blown away by her ability to adjust and by her happy little heart.
Her love for life.
Her love for us.
She is so strong. So resilient. So brave.
And we love her.
Every so often we get a glimpse of her past, and how she is dealing with it, and a glimpse of her future and what she will possibly be struggling with. And that's what keeps us grounded and praying in this ongoing process called adoption. It is so easy to say "We're done, she is doing well, she is ours, period." But I realize more and more and in practical ways that this is not how it works. In Math, Nico and I were talking about definitions of lines, line segments and rays. A ray has a beginning point, and from there on it goes on and on. No end that can be defined.
This is what adoption feels to me today.
A few days ago I was showing my sister our mementos and souvenirs from China, as well as Nina's documents. We also came across all of her referral pictures. Nina sat there with us and looked at everything intently.
She pointed the serious looking girl in the picture and said "Lou Fu Bo", which is her chinese name (and she obviously remembers it). I poked her little chest and asked "Lou Fu Bo?". She shook her head... She pointed to her referral picture again and repeated "Lou Fu Bo", then she pointed to herself and said "Nina Bobo".
Wow.
She did it not just once, but several times. Hanna and I looked at each other in amazment.
Somehow she seemed at peace with this. She found a way to put an identity on the two little girls that live in her heart. And that blows me away. She is only three!
Then tonight we talked about when they were born, and at what time of the day on their birthdays. After I tried to remember all those details (which I barley do), Nina looked at me questioningly and said "Nina?". As in "I want to know these details about me too!". And I can't answer those questions for her. That makes me a little sad. I can guess, but there are things that we will never know. And we will have to find a way to deal with those unkonwns. The thing is, I KNOW that, but when you're faced with the actual questions, it's a different story.
To see how NINA deals with it (so far), is encouraging though. We need to pray for the healing in her heart to continue. After all...
"Though she (the birthmother) may forget, I will not forget you! See, I have engraved you on the palm of my hands"
(Isaiah 49: 15+16)
Isn't that wonderful?

5 comments:

Buffi Young said...

Wow! What a post! Nina is a very deep, thoughtful little girl. We finally showed Sadie her pictures...and she seemed great with looking at them. She pointed out all the things that we had sent her. I was a little apprehensive about showing her...but it was good. We'll see how it goes next time. This truly is a journey that never ends.We will always have those questions that we have to pray for the leading of the Lord on. Praise God He's always there to help us through each thing!

Thanks for the posts. I love the way you share your thoughts!!! Have a great day!
Buffi

Linda said...

That's such a beautiful verse, isn't it? I think Nina's description of the two Ninas is very good and really quite accurate. One of the hardest discussions I've had to date was when Ruthie asked if she grew in my tummy like the boys. It hurt me to have to tell her `no.' I was actually surprised at how much it pained me to have to explain that even though she didn't grow in my tummy, I loved her every bit as much as the four babies who had. She accepted that, but who knows what goes through her little mind? It really is a different journey.

Musings from Kim K. said...

Wow. I have tears in my eyes thinking of Nina and how she's making sense of everything. It's so bitter sweet.

Kim K.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that sounds amazing! Nina seems to be such a smart, thoughtful little girl! Amazing...
Thanks for sharing this, it really touched my heart by just reading it.


Love,
Yvonne

The Ferrill's said...

Barb thank you so much for sharing that. You are right in that the adoption process is never really over, is it? I find myself learning that lesson again and again. I think we just come to pit stops where things seem okay and we can rest, but then something happens and we pick back up again and barrel along in the journey...rolling up hills and down into valleys until the next pit stop. Life is a pilgrimage, after all!
We have shown Kimmie and Quan things from their past and they seem to take it in stride. I am thankful for any piece of their life puzzle that I can share with them as they get older!
These children are so much braver than I could ever hope to be!
Love,
Laine