Monday, October 8, 2007

I'm a WYOMING girl!

Last friday we took my sister and niece to Devil's tower. Us Wyominites are pretty proud of having the first national monument in our state *brag*
It was a gorgeous fall day. The leaves were yellow, the sky a deep blue, and the temperature "I wish I was wearing shorts" - warm. The area around the tower is wooded and hilly, unlike many other parts of Wyoming.
It's simply beautiful.
Our kids love it too. We try to make the trip a couple of times a year, and we always have a great time climbing rocks, exploring the woods and having a picnic.
Allright, since this is not a commercial for Wyoming (although I have to throw in there that we are related to the Director of Tourism for Wyoming!!), I'll go on ;-))
Nina was fun to watch. She is such a city girl, and not ususally fond of nature things. Pine cones gross her out, so does walking through dry grass and weeds. By the end of the hike around the tower though, she was collecting pine needles and wanted to climb on all the rocks. She'll get there...

I love this first picture of the little Miss Drama Queen :-))

I wanted to take a picture of Hanna and Nico, but Nina decided she needed to be in the picture, too. Yep, her big brother likes to tease her :-)

Cousin Kaya climbing on the rocks too.

And Elia was gathering fire wood. He was so funny. I didn't really hear much from him, and he had his arms full of sticks, when he told me that he was bored. Poor guy would not abandon his wood for some fun! We put it in the backpack, and things started to look up for him!
He is going to tell you what the wood is for, and I apologize for having the video sideways at first. I started taping and then realized that I could not rotate the video (learned that one the hard way!)

4 comments:

The Ferrill's said...

What a cute video of your son! He's a cutie too! So, did he make a campfire? :)

Musings from Kim K. said...

Wyoming looks beautiful (snow and all). You certainly do have bragging rights for your state. Last spring I took my family to Utah for a work-related event. Those western states certainly make our Michigan landscape/structure pretty boring in comparison.

Great pictures of ALL your extended family over the last few days. Keep the updates coming!
Blessings,
Kim Kenward

Buffi Young said...

I LOVE that picture of Nina! What beautiful scenery. You certainly have rights to brag!! I would love to see that!! Thanks for sharing. I love the updates!!!
Buffi

The Ferrill's said...

Barb, we would love to come to Wyoming and see Devil's Tower...but I'm afraid Bessie wouldn't make it to the state line!
We need to just get one of those silver bullet campers and take about a month off and just GO! I always dream of doing that!