Friday, August 10, 2007

My wild side... and will Mama come back?

Like I mentioned earlier, we had the fair last week, and as you know, the fair brings the carnival. I usually try to overlook the carnival when it's in town, but of course since we were at the fair daily, there was no way around it.
Friday night came, and we decided to bite the bullet and take the kids to the carnival. I was going to meet everyone there, since I had to work at my booth for a couple of hours. When I left the house, I did just that... I walked out and never told Nina I was leaving AND GOING TO COME BACK....
I also have to add that this was the first time I had left her at home with Mike.
Fast forward a couple of hours. I arrive at the Carnival, and my older kids are excited to see me. Nina on the other hand had my Mother-in-law's hand clutched tightly, and when I asked her to come see Mama, she shook her head "no".
WHOA!!! That stung. A bit.
I'm wondering what went on in her little head. Was she ready to settle for Grandma, since Mama had walked out on her? Now she has definitely the coolest Grandma in town, there is no question about that. It was just so sad to see her disappointed and unsure of her new life. Again, what was I THINKING!?
I scooped her up in my arms even after she clearly answered my question, because I just don't take that kind of NO for an answer. She seemed fine after that, but it was again such an eye opener moment. She is doing wonderful and is adjusting so well, better than we would have ever expected, but we cannot take it for granted. Her foundation is still wobbly and needs to settle and get stronger!

Well, she LOVED the carnival. She actually wanted to go on the wildest rides, and Mike finally took her. The older kids HATED the "spider" (and I'm going to leave it at that since I don't want to embarrass them), but Nina was happy and content and wanted to go AGAIN. No dice, no takers for that one. I was so surprised, and it confirmed that somewhere deep inside our little girl there is a wild side of her yet to come out ;-))

                                              Anya and Nina in line for Nina's first carnival ride

                                             Enjoying the little kiddie ferries wheel

                                             Another ride with Anya and Alex

                                             And then THE "spider"

2 comments:

The Ferrill's said...

Hey Barb! I love the fair...it reminds me of fall because that's when we usually have the state fair. Way too hot right now! So, I guess this attachment thing just takes more time and we have to be constantly aware of it, right? Thank you for continuing to share these little tid-bits even weeks after you've been home. It is so very helpful, really!
Wish we could meet you at the fair!
Love,
Laine

Buffi Young said...

Wow....this kind of puts things in perspective for us. Although things seem wonderful...there are still those attachment issues that we're all dealing with. Your wisdom and candid posts help us SO much!! I can't tell you what a blessing it is to follow your blog. Please don't quit...I'll have withdrawls from your too!!!

I too love the fair in the fall..Right now it is 7:40pm and still over 95 degrees outside...we're miserable here. Hopefully Fall will come soon. It's my favorite time of the year!!! OH...I forgot to mail the umbrellas....I promise...I'll get them to you soon!!!
Love ya,
Buffi