Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Accepted into the family

We had a family reunion last weekend. Nina met several relatives for the first time, and overall she did pretty well. On Saturday she went just with Mike and the boys, since Anya was sick and I stayed home with her. Mike said that he was in the doghouse for a while because he left her with his Mom (who Nina LOVES!) while he rode the 4wheeler with the boys, but that she came around pretty quickly.
On Sunday I was able to go too, even though Anya was not 100% yet, but better.
Mike's family is pretty amazing. They really embraced Nina and welcomed her with open arms. They have been very supportive with all of our kiddos, which is so nice! And so appreciated!
One thing I found very interesting: Saturday night, after Mike brought Nina home, she started with a fever, and she was coughing. On sunday she still had a slight fever, and on Monday it was completely gone. At first I thought she might be getting what Anya had, but now I'm wondering if the reunion stressed her out too much, and that's how her body responded.
Of course I can't prove that was the reason for her very short bout of sickness, but the timing strikes me as a bit odd.
Again, it reminds me of the "overdrive" her entire little being has to be in still, and that we have to continue to nurture her in a special way to lay a solid foundation of trust and an ability to cope with life's changes.
The following picture captures the way Mike's family has responded to Nina... with caring, open hearts. Willing to love her because she is ours. What a blessing!

2 comments:

Buffi Young said...

Wow Barb...you may be right. The stress of the situation could have caused the fever. I know that Sophie responds that way in times of stress. It could have something to do with her personality. Little glimpses into who Nina is. That is so wonderful that Mike's family is so welcoming of Nina. What a blessing. She has to feel that love! It is good to have time away too. I am desperate for some. I tried to sneak away to The Dollar General this evening and Sadie just lost it. We sure weren't anticipating her to react like that. So, I had to sneak and hurry and didn't get much time at all!! I have to remind myself...this is a season. Thanks for sharing!!! I always LOVE reading your posts!
Buffi

The Ferrill's said...

Oh I love that picture Barb...all these cowboy hats...I wanna go to a family reunion too! You know, Rob and I used to cut a rug in our B.C. (before children) days...two-step, line dancing...I still love to see cowboy hats!
I need to go to Walmart so badly but I have to wait until the little ones are in bed, and then I'm just too tired! I know one day I'll be able to leave again!
Don't forget to let me know my bill!
Love,
Laine