Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Just in case you ever wonder...


I hope EVERYBODY has this book.
It is so beautifully written - my eyes still sting when I read it...
We have 2 different versions of it, but this is the board book Nina received as a gift.
I read it to her the other night, and I was sad to realize that some of it does not apply to her, since we missed the first 3 1/2 years of her life. But I'm planning on explaining to her what my memories of OUR first night together are - because it was just as special.
The one thing that really jabbed a dagger into my heart and left me with many questions, was her comment about the page I pictured below. And it was only ONE word...
She looked at the Mom holding the baby, pointed to her and said "Ayi", which means "Auntie" in chinese. From what I understand, this is a commonly used word for adult women in a child's life, but it also used for Nannies in an orphanage. And that's where my heart starts to ache for Nina. In her experience it is Nannies who take care of babies, and not Mama's.
I just want to cry...
Even though her foster parents have loved her much, I so wish that Little FuBo had a Mama who cherished her, loved on her and snuggled with her.
I feel like I caught a glimpse of another dimension of what my daughter has gone through, and it's a tough one.
One that only God's love can restore in her heart.
And that is my prayer for her tonight.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful book, never heard of it before...


Love,
Yvonne

Buffi Young said...

Wow...I'm tearing up with you. There are so many things that we do not know, isn't it? Each day opens up a little more and more. Praise the Lord that we can help them with their past...and joyfully provide them with the best future!!! They are precious. I'll have to get that book. it looks great!!! Have a great day!
Love,
Buffi

Linda said...

That is a very sweet and tender post.

I hesitate to spoil the mood, but, Barb, you have officially been tagged! Should you accept the challenge, please go to my blog for the instructions. I apologize in advance! www.lindaschildren.blogspot.com

The Ferrill's said...

You and Buffi are just making me cry! She had a really sweet post also. We have this book, though not as a board book. I'm going to get it right now and re-read it to ALL my children!
Thanks for reminding me what a great book it is!
Nina is so blessed to have such a godly mommy! (all your children are!)
Love,
Laine