Saturday, August 2, 2008

I saw her, I saw her!!!

Okay, that was almost too ordinary.....

We attended the 4H sponsored pancake feed this morning, as they were setting up for Jesse James' stage nearby. I saw a dark haired lady walking around, and thought that it "may" just be Sandra. So I followed her (slick, huh!!).

It wasn't her.

But I ended up speaking with another bystander, and when I asked her if Sandra was here, too, she pointed to the playground and said calmly: "She is over there."

OVER THERE??? Are you KIDDING??

Armed with my best mothering skills, leaving my kids on their own, finishing their breakfast, I trotted over to the playground. Except, what do you really do at a playground if you don't have kids with you??

Yep, there she was.

Beautiful, but oh, so ordinary. Shorts, T-Shirt, no makeup, hair in a ponytail. Playing with her step-daughter. Doing what all Moms do.

Later on, she watched the local kids showing pigs. No one bothered her. Ordinary Wyoming people were sitting right by her, and acted as there was nothing special about her. I like that about the people here. Sure, we stare, we whisper, but we're very much leaving her alone. My friend got an autograph, but I was too chicken to approach her. Oh, well!

I witnessed a pretty cool exchange though. The local county Miss approached her (her Mom did) and asked for a picture. You know what she said?

"I don't take pictures today. Today it's all about my husband, and I'm just here as his wife. That's it."

Cool!

Well, I did take some pictures with my super zoom lens *haha*. I admit, they are
horrible pictures. But that's as courageous I got....







6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love the second pic (even thou u can only see her back)....she just looks sooo normal.. makes me feel good lol... must be her german genes ;-)
bianca

Sherri said...

That is so neat that you got to see her! I love that she said she was just there as a wife supporting her husband. I hope the mom wasn't put off by that....I love that she seems so normal!

And I just have to say how funny it is that you had that super zoom lens!

Sherri

Musings from Kim K. said...

What a cool experience. She seems like a really down to earth person and not caught up in her star status. I love your handy dandy camera, Barb.

Buffi Young said...

Isn't she just so beautiful!!!! I LOVE IT!!! Barb...I would have been as brave as you!! :) I wouldn't have wanted to bother her either. She does seem like such a down to earth person. How cool!!! Thanks for sharing!!!
Buffi

Anonymous said...

Wow, she is just a regular gal :)!

Tami said...

Exciting! I can't imaging being so famous that no matter where you go, so many people know who you are. It must get really tough at times TRYING to be 'just a wife'.