Saturday, August 2, 2008

Almost missed it!

We had started our re-adoption paperwork a few weeks ago.
Basically, the re-adoption doesn't really change anything, but it allows Nina to have a Wyoming Birth certificate. This will make things much easier for her down the road, as I don't want to imagine having to request a BC from China in 20 years or so. Nightmare in the making....
Anyway, when we signed all the forms needed, the gal at the law office (who is a Tastefully Simple client of mine) told us she would send us the stamped and signed forms in the mail, and then they would notify us of our court date.
Well, about a week or so ago I received an envelope from the law office, and since I ASSUMED it was just our copies of the forms, I never opened it.
Yesterday at the fair I ran into her, and she told me that someone different from their office was going to represent us at the court hearing. I looked at her and said: "Oh, so you have found out about a court date then?". She gave me THE look and answered with a gasp: "Did you not receive our letter?" I confessed I had but had not opened it (yet).....
She said that the court date was INCLUDED in that envelope.
AAAHHHHHHGGGGGGHHHH!
The only senile question I had left for her was asking if we had missed it aleady....
She assured me we hadn't.

Guess what?

It's on TUESDAY morning. In THREE days, and we almost missed it.
THAT would have been embarrassing!

But thank God HE knew we needed a gentle little reminder, and yes, I will post pictures of the last official milestone in our journey to Miss Nina....

3 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

Whew. That was a close call. We'll look forward to some neat pictures of Nina's court date. Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Hi Barb,
My paperwork has been sitting around for weeks waiting to be filled in and finally I did it this week and got all the paperwork to the court house on Friday so hopefully our day will be coming up soon as well. I am looking forward to having this last piece taken care of. So have you gotten the Loudi reunion messages from the yahoo group?
: ) Amy

Buffi Young said...

And we all said WHEW!!!! So glad you didn't miss it! We didn't even have to go to court. The lawyer did it all for us. I was just glad to get it all done!!! We just had our final post adoption too and I'm SO glad it's all over!!! Glad you didn't miss your court date!!! Have a great week.
Buffi