Sunday, June 1, 2008

The writing boy

Elia has been amazing us with his early reading and writing skills. He has been practicing with Alex's books from Kindergarten, and has the very early ones mastered. The ones that go like:
"I see the dog, I see the cat..."
"I can eat, I can sleep..."
The last word is usually a picture, but still - it's so fun to see him discover the world of reading and books! Love it!
And now he is trying to write things, too. He'll just go get paper and a pencil to write things down. Sometimes it's when he is mad and wants to write about it, or it is to write a card, or just to pass the time in church :-)
I took pictures of a couple of examples of his writing. I usually have to ask him for the translation, but once I know what he meant, it becomes quite obvious. He is really trying to sound out the words, and the results are so cute!

This one was created after I had to lock up the Wii games because of lots of fighting and no sharing. He was so angry with me, and taped this note to the inside of our entertainment center :-)
It says: "No fighting over the (and then 'over the' again) Wii game (gem)
His letters are highlighted in red
(And of course MOM is obvious, since I was the one he was mad at)
And here is Grandma's Birthday card!
"Happy Birthday Grandma (Grmo)"
And so see who is still reading our blog, here is a little "Elia-Trivia". Can you guess what this word means? He just wrote it a couple of days ago, and neither Mike or I could figure it out. Again, it makes total sense now, so let me hear YOUR best guesses :-)))

"WEOWL"

Post your guess in the comments!

9 comments:

Linda said...

I have two guesses - Either "we all" or a very dragged out "well," such as weeellll!

Musings from Kim K. said...

I'm going with WELL.

Anonymous said...

oh u know what that is how they learn how to write here in germany. they write how they hear the words..u have to read it out loud and u will understand. it is funny sometimes. and i don`t get it all the times but it is getting "better" by the day. he did a great job.. lol but i have no clue what the word means.
bianca

Buffi Young said...

OH MY...I am not too good at word games. I have NO clue. What was the context? Is it still over the Wii game?! Which...by the way, we LOVE our Wii game! It is incredibly fun!!! If I come up with a guess...I'll shoot it your way!!
Buffi

Hanna said...

we go the way left
we only wait loooong
wir erben Omas wilde Linde
Wasser Esel Otter Wunde langsam


oder so.....

Brandee said...

Wii'll or whale...my best guess over here....

Brandee said...

nope - change my guess - wheel?

Tami said...

AAwwww...too late to play, I saw the answer above;-(.

Anonymous said...

So, my guess is, we all will love... whatever it means...
Funny ideas Hanna =)
Nadi