Wednesday, June 25, 2008

"I gave you candy..."

This week is CRAZY. It seems that the only one-on-one time I have with any of the kids is in the car, or while waiting for someone else's lesson of any kind to be over.
Nico and Anya have soccer camp, Elia and Nina swimming and gymnastics, and Alex German camp. I haveo have them all chauffeured to their respective activities by 9am (at three different locations!). Ahhhhhhhhhh!
I love that they have all these great opportunities, but this week is one compact entertainment marathon. Not to mention that I'm also providing authentic (aka: homemade from scratch) Swiss Snacks for the German camp, which has about 90 people. Late nights, early morning, and a kitchen that is too painful to describe.
Oh well!

There was one really neat thing that I need to write about before it fades in my memory...
Nina and I were sitting at swimming, watching Elia, and visiting with my friend and neighbor. We talked about having to do something special for Nina's adoption anniversary next week. We talked about how we met her a year ago, and she looked at me and said: "And I gave you candy".

When we met her in Changsha, she tightly clutched a bag of hard candy in her little hands, and her nanny prompted her to give one to Mike and one to me. We still have a couple of pieces of that candy, and we have a picture of her giving it to us (I think), and we have it on video. Nina has only watched the video one time, last summer.

I was soooo surprised that she brought this up, and that she seemed to remember that moment.
Wow! Certainly makes me wonder what other memories she has from her adoption!!

6 comments:

Linda said...

Nina's little story is sweet. I think it is amazing how much these little kids do remember. Every now and then Ruthie will pop up with something like that, and like you, I ponder just how much she really does remember.

The Ferrill's said...

WOW Barb...that is amazing! I love it that our children give us these glimpses into their little minds...can't wait for her one year post...you always write so beautifully....no pressure! ;)
Your week is crazy, but just think...you have the best job in the whole world!!!!!!!!! And you are doing a wonderful job as "mommy"!!!
I'm sure your children's lives are being greatly enriched by all the lessons and camps, etc...it sounds really cool! Okay, and busy...but cool! ;) I know they're having a blast!

Hanna said...

This little lady is wonderful! Offensichtlich sind die Zückerli wirklich wichtig für sie. vielleicht hatte sie ja vorher kaum Süssigkeiten. Ist Alex bei Brandee im German Camp?? Weiter so!
liebe Grüsse
Hanna

Musings from Kim K. said...

Wow. I can't believe it's been nearly a year since you got Nina. What an amazing year it has been to follow in your blog. Thank you for sharing your family's journey with all of us.

Best wishes with all your driving around. It makes my head spin just thinking about it.

Love,
Kim K.

Sherri said...

That is the sweetest thing ever. How wonderful that she remembers. I vividly remember the first moment I saw my husband. Maybe it was something like that for Nina!

Sherri

Buffi Young said...

wow...that's really amazing that she remembers that!! It DOES make me wonder what all they remember in their little heads. Do you ever prompt the conversation to go that way to find out? I'm so hesitant to...but I would LOVE to know all that she remembers. Such a sweet moment! I am TOTALLY with you on being busy. We've been so busy I haven't done laundry all week...and that's bad....cause I don't have any undies for church tomorrow! :) Gotta get washing!! have a great week!
Blessings,
Buffi