Thursday, February 14, 2008

An unsettling Valentines Day morning...

That was a disaster in the making.....
It all started out so romantic ~ with a nice Valentines day breakfast - homemade and heart shaped biscuits with strawberry cream cheese, a strawberry milk shake, cute little Valentines for the kids, nice decorations, candles.... PERFECT!

Until......

.....the thank-goodness-it-was-me-Mama pushed a candle too close to all the decorations! Nico noticed it first and started hollering "Mama, the card is ON FIRE!!!!!! The card that Alex had made for me was not the only thing affected, though. It was also the tulle and Nina's straw hat that was melting and smoldering. Trying to extinguish it all, we also spilled the hot wax on the table. The table, that Nico and I had JUST finished refinishing (pictures below!).
Well, thank God, nothing major happened, and Elia (who was actually sick) felt so bad for Alex, who had his card ruined, that he got out some paper, stickers and scissors, and made a new one, trying to copy Alex's closely. How sweet!


That's what I think Valentines Day is all about anyway ~ showing that you love each other in every-day-kind-of-ways. Elia's act of kindness really blessed my heart.
And I'm thankful.
It could have.....
Nope, don't want to go there!
Thank you, Lord!
***********
Here are the pictures of our refinishing project. My parents bought us this beautiful and very large table several years ago, when it became obvious we were going to outgrow the one we had bought when there was just the two of us...
Although it is a well built table from a well respected company, the finish just did not hold up. It literally started to dissolve, and you could scrape it off with your fingernails. It was nasty, and the top always felt sticky.
I had done some refinishing work years ago, but not for quite a while, so we participated in a refinishing workshop here in town, and it was a great project for Nico and I.

The excited assistant
After we stripped all the old finish off the table
And then sanded it
And then it was re-stained and varnished. All done! It's a bit lighter than it was before, but I didn't realize that until we had it all done and back home. It's still MUCH nicer than before!

4 comments:

Sherri said...

Oh my! That could have been horrible! I'm so glad you caught it before it got out of hand!

Your table is beautiful. We have a couple of antique tables we would like to try to refinish, but we have about a million other projects to do. So for now, the finish just looks bad.

That is so sweet the way your kids care for each other.


Sherri

Linda said...

I'm so glad that everything turned out okay, and I agree that your table is beautiful. I want to know what time you woke up to fix such a special Valentines' breakfast?! I tend to think that I get up very early, but I would never have time to do all these fancy things and still get kids off to school. You get my vote for SPECIAL MOM OF THE YEAR AWARD!!

Musings from Kim K. said...

Whew. I'm glad it ended up all right. Your table decorations were really special and I LOVE all the energy you put into all the details. Happy Heart day to you and your sweet family.

Love,
Kim K.

Buffi Young said...

What an eventful Valentines Day!!! You are SO good to get up and make such a special breakfast!! We did good just to get up and get out of the house in time to get Sophie to school. We overslept every day this week...guess cause we have sick little ones! I LOVE your table. It is awesome!! you guys did a great job too!! Is it an antique? I love antiques!! Oh well...Thanks for sharing your day with us!! You guys are a wonderful family!!!
Love ya,
Buffi