Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The birthday girl dancing and playing


I wanted to share the video of Nina dancing at her birthday party. As cute as it is, I'm wondering what went on in her little head at that time. You can hear all the little girls playing in the background, while she was in her own little world, tuning out everything around her.
Will I be wondering these kinds of things for the rest of my life? How prominent will the "mysteries" of her past continue to be?
I need to pray for discernment to see what is a personality thing, a "here and now" issue, or a "way back when" issue. Some need to be addressed, some given time, others loved away....
I hope that someday I don't have to question everything I do, or she does, in the light of her adoption. Not that I want the fact of her adoption to be hidden (which I can't for obvious reasons...) or ignored. I KNOW this is part of who Nina is, and I KNOW this will affect her always, but the difference between KNOWING it and LIVING it is sometimes huge. Sometimes really weighing on me. But then I'm reminded that each of my kids has unique needs, that will pose unique struggles down the road - whether it's dealing with a disability, perfectionism, competitiveness, or fear and apprehension (not identifying which one goes with which of my children - if you know them, you'll figure it out :-) ). We will all have to overcome - by HOPE, and LOVE, and FAITH...
Ultimately, parenting is not about fixing things for my children, but equipping them to face their challenges, and learn to draw their strength from the One who knows the number of hairs on their head...
***********
Here is a "day after" picture of Nina with her new Leapster. She is so hooked!!

5 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

What a thoughtful post and observation. It'll be interesting to see over time, how much of these factors exist anymore. Love the ladybug pj's.

Love,
Kim K.

Hanna said...

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet! I'm wondering about her hair, it's sooo long.
GrĂ¼ess from Switzerland
Hanna

Buffi Young said...

Yes...her hair looks SO long. MY....how in the world is it so long?

Yes...I can see what you mean about her being in her own world. Maybe music just moves her and she has to dance when she hears it. She IS very creative and artistic!! I guess we will never know. Your comment though about equipping them is awesome!! So true!! Have a great week!
Buffi

Tami said...

Barb,

Your kids are so fortunate to have a Mom (and I'm sure Dad too!) that is so positive and sensitive to all these "issues"! You're an inspiration. Your obvious faith and love for God, and His prominent place in your life, will produce rewards for you and your children beyond your dreams. I'm sure God is smiling down on you in every sense of the word.

Thanks for keeping your blog so personal and "real".

God bless.

Tami

Sonya said...

Wonderful post!!! I know you are glad you got Nina on video dancing!
That is the sweetest ever!

We love to watch Katie Lin with her Leapster too! Just wish our was pink too!