Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A little poet in the making....

Anya has an amazing gift with words. She LOVES to read, and is reading books like "Little house on the prairie", "Little women", and the "Black Stallion" series. She doesn't just read them, she devours them in record time. It's pretty cool to see that. She loves to write, and last summer she wrote some beautiful poems for her new sister, and a pretty deep poem about the color blue that didn't sound like something an eight year old would write.
Yesterday, it was Great-Grandma Ila's 82nd birthday, and we wanted to make her a  special card. We sat down at the computer, wrote "Happy Birthday, Great-Grandma", and then the poetic juices started flowing. I could not believe it! I suggested a couple of lines, and refined some others, but I would say 75% of this poem is Anya's work.
Here is what she came up with:

Presents come in blue and red,
But we've got you something special instead.
It's not wrapped in paper,
It's not very big,
But it will fill your heart
with a happy jig.
We have lots of hugs, and lots of kisses,
from your little Misters,
and your little Misses.
We love you lots, and wish you much rest,
Thanks for being the best of the best.


9 comments:

Buffi Young said...

Great job Anya!!! WOW!! she really does have a way with words!! It doesn't surprise me though...you guys just have creativity all over the place!!! I know your grandmother is going to LOVE it!!! I like the pic of Anya too!! She is just so cute!!!
Buffi

Anonymous said...

WOW! I am impressed, great job!
She probably got that from you...hehe...
Sweet photo of Anya! :o)))

Love,
Yvonne

Anonymous said...

Hey
That`s a very pretty poem. I would say great job! =)
I like this very sweet photo of Anya =)
Greetings from Switzerland
Nadi

Hanna said...

Wow, super Anya! Schlaasch ganz de Mama oder doch em Gotti nache!
Love you
Gotti hanna

Musings from Kim K. said...

She is very talented and what a special gift too! I'd love to see some of the poems that she wrote about her sister. Great pic (as always).

Love,
Kim K.

The Ferrill's said...

Barb yall could write a book together! ;)
Way to go, little poet!
And thank you for posting about the finding ad below. I really would like to contact Brian about K & Q's ads. I'm glad you found sweet little Nina's. I'm like you in losing things that I've just had in my hands...we must have too much on our minds! ;)
Love,
Laine

Sonya said...

THAT IS GREAT!!!

Sherri said...

What a nice poem! You should make a poetry notebook and every time she writes a poem, just put it in there, and you'll have a nice collection to give back to her when she's older.

My oldest daughter, Sarah, read like that at Anya's age. That's wonderful! Even now, she still goes back to her favorite childhood books and rereads them.

I contacted Brian about Mia's finding ad and he has it AND the actual newspaper! I just sent in Olivia's information--hopefully he'll find that one too.

Thanks for telling us about it!

Sherri

Anya said...

I take after my mom.
It just popped out of my mind.
It's really nice huh?