Thursday, March 13, 2008

We're still here :-)

Wow, I never thought I would EVER have to apologize for NOT blogging!!! I love this platform of journaling, and keeping in touch with friends. But oh boy, the last two weeks have just kind of gotten away from me. And then the longer you wait, the harder it is to get going again, because now I don't even know where to start!!!!
First I would like to mention some of my fellow Blogging friends who could use your prayers:
Kim and her family are currently in China, adopting their daughter Josie. Following their journey makes me want to go back to China! What an interesting country, what a DIFFERENT country. It always amazes me how well Nina has adjusted to our Swiss-American lifestyle, when all she knew for 3 1/2 years was her chinese one. Amazing. But I'm totally off the subject now...
Another family that I would like you to pray for is our dear travel group friends Melissa and Chad. We really enjoyed hanging out with them in Guangzhou last summer! You can read about their situation on their Blog...
I have talked about Linda's family before. One of her little girls, Ruthie, had surgery last week, and I know they appreciate all the prayers as well!

So - what has been up with all of us...

Elia had his Kindergarten screening last week, and passed with flying colors. I can't believe he will start Kindergarten in the Fall! Nina gets kind of cranky when her siblings get to do things she can't, as she does not realize yet that her turn will come too :-)). The speech pathologist testing him told me a funny little story about him. She told him a short story, and asked him to re-tell it back to her. He answered: "I already did - in my head!". It boiled down to him not remembering the beginning, so I guess he decided trying to weasel out of this one! He is so funny!
Lego-mania continues on at our house, but I recently moved them ALL into our basement, where they are not distracting Nico from his school work quite as much. That has been working so much better!
I am ready for this school year to be over.... and it's only March! Next week we will have Spring break, and I'm soooo looking forward to that. No getting up on time, eating on time, hurrying not to miss the bus, and all that. We will try to go skiing sometime next week - pray that I don't blow another tire and waste our fun-money again!!!
Anya is finishing Ice Skating this week, and Nico and Elia finished swimming yesterday. We'll have a two week break from that. They have really liked swimming, and have learned SO MUCH!! Nico's teacher said that she never had a child learn the butterfly as quickly as Nico has! He really, really didn't want to take swimming lessons, but now he loves it!
Soccer will be starting at the end of the month, and this is something we all enjoy! Nina will play too, although I foresee lots of boohooo-ing at the sidelines from her. She played with Alex the other day, and she cried and pouted most of the time, as the ball was HER'S!!!! (Or so she thought!) I think the most important thing is that she feels like she is a part of it too. Same practices, team shirt, and all that. I don't worry about anything else at this point, as we had the EXACT same situation 5 years ago when Anya started. She doesn't like to be reminded of her rather un-glorious start into the world of soccer. This was a cute little conversation she had with Grandma back then:
Grandma: "Anya, why are you not playing?"
Anya: "Daddy said, if I cried one more time, I could not play anymore. So I cried one more time!"
And now she is on the traveling soccer team, and a very talented, quick midfielder, and LOVING it! Mike will coach both the little kids' and Nico's team this spring, so we will be living at the soccer fields ;-))
With me being so athletically challenged (and I'm really not kidding!), it's nice to see that our kids must have inherited their abilities from their Daddy!! We try not to do too much, but it's good for them to be active, I think. Even if each of the kids is doing only ONE thing, it will keep us plenty busy :-)

Nina continues with her "rebellious phase", and her defiance at times is exhausting. Like I said earlier, I believe that it's a good thing for her to go through this, but oh, boy....
It's hard to pick the battles, because sometimes I find myself just wanting to win them ALL. And they are not all important right now. I think this phase is definitely marking the end of the "honeymoon" phase of her adoption - now it's down to the true basics, and our relationship is being tried on a deeper level. Sometimes parenting is all about fun and laughter, and sometimes it's all about commitment and sticking it out, doing what is right. Those are not the glorious moments to blog about, but are soo part of life and parenting.
Don't get me wrong - we have wonderful times with our little girl, too. She is generally happy, and her giggles are just the best. She loves to do crafts, and colors all the time. The other day she said: "Daddy is my best friend!". That was so sweet to hear!

Can you believe that I don't even have any new pictures???? I know, what an awful thing! I have one - no idea who took it, but it's pretty funny!! So, I'll leave you with that, and hope you have a great day today!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

There you are! I really missed your posts but now you are back! Your life seems pretty hectic at the moment.
I am sorry to hear about your friend, hope she will be okay...also Ruthie. And all the best to the family who is in China right now! :o)))

And I love the pic of Nina! Its soooo COOL!

Love,
Yvonne

Anonymous said...

Hey Barb
thank you for this very =) long post. I like to read about you and your family life and to know what happens on the other side of the world. =)
You are just a very sporty family, Hats off! =) But we are becoming one ...
Have a nice day all your blogging friends =)
Nadi

Buffi Young said...

Hey Barb!!!
I've MISSED your posts!! Been thinking about you guys and hoping you're doing well!! We are following The Kenwards too! What a great family. I am SO excited for them. Like you...watching their videos made me miss our trip!! :) We're starting soccer this week...practices that is. Sadie is STILL too young...so she'll have to side line it!! Hopefully that will be ok with her. Maybe she can be the coaches help. Mark is coaching Silas' team. Anyway, it's so great to hear from you. Have a WONDERFUL Spring Break!! Ours is next week too! I'm looking forward to it!! Have a great one!
Buffi

Linda said...

Thanks so much for mentioning Ruthie in your post. There have been so many people praying for her, and I am fast understanding that we will never even begin to know the full extent of all the prayers. Being part of God's family and seeing how He uses us as His hands and feet is so amazing to me! Thanks again for your kind words!

I agree with the other comments saying that they have missed your posts. You are such an encouragement to me, and I just love reading about your kiddos. Little Miss Gummi Worm is adorable!

Anonymous said...

Wow, for once the problem is not my compter, or more my computer skills! I checked your blog today, and there you were! I had decided if there wasn't anything new, I would have to call Mike and ask for help, just knowing I was doing something wrong!

You guys are going to be busy, busy with soccer, but hopefully you will be able to come out one day soon and see the baby calves.
Some nice day with lots of sunshine!

I will pray for your friends. I am so excited for "Josie", to be coming to such a wonderul life, like Nina has! Really, we are the ones who are blessed, to have Nico, Anya, Alex, Hoovie & Nina be a part of our lives! You and Mike do all the work, we get to join in the fun!

I love you! God Bless You!
Aunt Jo