Monday, March 31, 2008

Time to jump in...

Brand new, green turtle towel...... check.
Last year's still fitting Strawberry Shortcake swimming suit.... check.
Not THE red backpack, but another acceptable bag.... check.
Goggles... check.

Yep, Nina's first swimming lesson was today. Now she has really enjoyed going to the swimming pool, but is usually quite attached to me while in the water. I have been slowly getting her to be more independent and confident in the water, but letting her hop in on her own, was a little bit uncomfortable for both of us.
She was waving at me from the steps, like she was trying to say "Please, Mama, come with me...."
Ahhh, the pains of independence and growing up.
I am protective of her, she still seems so vulnerable at times, and it just hurts to let her go, by herself, into the big, bad world....

Okay, I'm slowly coming back down to reality. She is NOT GOING TO COLLEGE YET, allright????
It was SWIMMING LESSONS!
THIRTY minutes!

Okay, okay, but it was still hard! And I'm sticking to my story!

Nina did okay. She was quite hesitant, but since she has been watching her brothers for a while now, and is comfortable with the swimming instructor, it really did go okay. So now she will be swimming twice a week, and I'm expecting to see her blossom. The teacher the kids have is truly amazing, and these kids swim like it's no ones business.

Sorry, no pictures, I'll try to remember to bring the camera on Wednesday.

6 comments:

Sonya said...

PICTURES PLEEEEASE!!! ;)


PS Drew and Ben DO go to a Christain Private school and they do not wear uniforms. The pic you saw was the honors chours outfit.
www.dhca.org

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, wanna see pictures too! ;o)
Sounds great and I understand your fears, going through the same with my lil' one from time to time.
I am sure Nina will enjoy her lessons very soon, its great she learns swimming at such an early age!


Love,
Yvonne

Buffi Young said...

Yes...definitely gotta see pics!!! I've wondered if we should put Sadie & Silas in swimming lessons. Not sure. My aunt has a pool that we pretty much LIVE at during the summer. Maybe we can learn on our own. Sadie was VERY afraid when we first got back last year. Hopefully she'll do better this year. You guys do some awesome things!!! How are things? Is Nina still in the same stage that Sadie was in? Sadie has transitioned a bit...and now we're in a DIFFERENT stage. As before...we're working on it!! :) have a great week!
love ya,
Buffi

Sherri said...

They grow up so quickly.

That's fantastic that you guys are doing swimming lessons! It's such an important skill to have (what can I say? my daughter is a competitive swimmer!!:)

Sherri

Christie Todd said...

I would really appreciate your input on what your top 10 fears are. I am seeking info for a book I am writing on overcoming fear.
Thank you
Christie Todd

Anonymous said...

Each moment of letting go...Driving, swimming, kindergarden, college...all HARD ones! Thank you for your sweet post to my blog. I am so behind, I just found it!