Monday, January 21, 2008

That was yummy...

What do you do with five kids on a three day weekend when it's blizzarding and you freeze your little nose off when you're outside for more than 15 minutes?? Today it's seriously about eight below, even colder with the wind (und in Celsius heisst das -22 Grad, mit Windfaktor sogar -28 Grad). 
We did some shoveling and sledding - it's not too bad as long as you move, lot's of Wii'en and playing games, and they really, really need to pick up Lego's - but you can imagine how slow that progress is :-))
Quite a while ago I came across a recipe for a snack, and we just got done eating the yummy treat. I was thinking of all my bloggin' friends who have lots of kids, too, and not all the time in the world, either, so I thought I'd share this recipe, as it is prepared quickly, is super-simple, inexpensive and feeds lots of kids! Now this is NOT the original recipe (I found that one in the "Family Fun Magazine", but my version of it.


This is what I used:
10 flour tortillas, cut into 16 wedges (if you use a nice big knife, you can cut about 5 tortillas at the same time)
1 stick of butter, melted (could have done with less).
In a large bowl, toss the wedges with the butter. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, and bake at 400 degrees for about 10 - 12 minutes (until edges are starting to brown). I had to bake the wedges in three batches
Dip:
2 apples, grated, and added to sour cream and plain yoghurt (to make as much dip as you need), sweetened with vanilla and sugar.
I could easily have fed 8-10 kids with this amount!! And they LOVED it!

***********
And no, the kids were not really bored, as you can see in this picture below :-)))))) This was taken last Saturday!

7 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

What a great picture of the kiddos. By the way, I forwarded your blog address to my Mom so that she could admire your cake entry. This weekend will be our own attempt a snow-themed polar bear cake based on your snowman cake design. I promise to share pictures.

Stay warm. Love ya!

Kim K.

Anonymous said...

ach, ig bewundere di eifach für dini nie-usgschöpfti kreativität!!
liebschti grüess
dina

The Ferrill's said...

Oh BARB! Please please please write a cake decorating idea book! You must!
And I love this tortilla idea. We usually keep a pack of them in my fridge because my children like p.b.&j. tortilla roll ups! I will definitely try this at snack time...it beats popcorn!
Thanks for sharing! Keep those creative ideas coming, you're inspiring me! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh finally I can type my post now...
I had to tell you how wonderful these cakes are...WOW!!! You are so creative in so many ways, brillliant job! I love each and everyone of them! Sooooooo yummy...

Can I please order a turtle/hippo (her fave cuddly toys and she just loves turtles and hippos since) cake for Tamiya's 3rd birthday in summer and a Bratz or groovy chick one for Jonell in autumn? :o)))


Love,
Yvonne

Buffi Young said...

Oh my! What a wonderful recipe!!! I am definitely going to try that one...my picky eater, Silas, may even eat that one! I bet it's not good for my "Two Pound Tuesday" week...but hey...one or two can't hurt that much, huh?!:)

Wish you guys could send a little of your snow our way. We must be in some kind of hole or something...because the snow either goes above us or below us. Our kids have been SO frustrated!! We would LOVE just one good snow! Thanks for the post!!
Buffi

Buffi Young said...

Your blog wouldn't let me comment on the above post...so I'm doing it here!!

Your cakes are awesome! I second Laine's idea for you to write a book on cake decorating. You can do it all on www.blurb.com

You can download all your pictures and ideas and then have the book printed. You can even make it available to the public on their site and we can all buy one! It's free to use...the only cost is to purchase the book. If under 40 pages it is $12.95 per book for a soft cover. It would be awesome!! You have some of the most creative ideas!!! Not just with baking but with everything...like your advent tree!!! I STILL want to get some made before next year!!! I just love it!!

Sonya said...

OK those cakes are awesome!!! THANKS for sharing!