Thursday, January 24, 2008

One year ago, our "China girl" was given a face...

It was a year ago, that a phone call from CCAI, our adoption agency, changed the face of our family. It was really kind of a 'strange' day for me, as I was not feeling well, and I had no idea how to decide whether BoBo was the daughter meant for our family. I was not immediately "drawn" to her from the pictures, nor did I feel an instant "connection" (like I thought I was "supposed" to). It was Mike who had a much better grip on it and a godly heart in this situation. He said: "We have prayed for her for a long time, and I don't see a reason why this would NOT be her". Looking back on it now, I see how important this day for Mike was, as he was a lot more hesitant about the thought of adopting up until the moment he saw her face. After that, he just wanted to go and get her!

My blog entry about that day is here .

This was the first picture I ever saw of Nina, and this is actually the first time I'm posting it :-)

This was always my favorite picture

What shocks me, is looking at her "emotionless" little face. A face that I know now beams and shines (and pouts, too :-) ). What a difference!


4 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

Nina has changed so much since those pictures were taken. What an amazing transformation has happened in such a short amount of time. I look forward to experiencing those same things too.

Love,
Kim K.

Hanna said...

Vor noch nicht langer Zeit suchte ich die Bilder heraus, als ihr in China ward. Der Unterschied ist einfach unglaublich. Schon die Differenz von diesen allerersten Föteli bis zu denen im Juli ist enorm, aber heute kann ich kaum glauben, dass es dassselbe Kind ist!Ihre fröhliche, offene Art - es sind einfach Welten dazwischen!
Liebi Grüess
Hanna

The Ferrill's said...

What a doll baby! Her little face has such sunshine in it now...only love can do that!
I want to go back now and read the old blog post....

Buffi Young said...

Oh My! The change is AMAZING!!! I am so glad that we have the pictures from before, because it is such a reminder of where they came from!! Mia is so vibrant and joyful and her smile shines so brilliantly!! She is truly happy! What a wonderful thing to look back and see how God has worked, huh? Happy 1 year!!! You guys all remember dates SO well. I can't remember the exact date of any of the firsts for us! Oh well...at least I know about the time things happened, right?!?! What a great post!
Buffi
p.s. by the way, I made your cinnamon things tonight! They were really good. I think I overcooked them though. But, the family loves them!!