Saturday, December 1, 2007

We are ready for December!


Advent and Christmas at our house is a true mix of traditions from 2 countries.
I have fully embraced the American style of Christmas lights and tons of decorations, the Christmas tree that's up for all of December, candy canes and hot cider.
I love to relive my childhood memories of St. Nikolaus (whom we celebrate on December 6), baking the traditional Swiss Christmas cookies, and we LOVE our countdown to Christmas calendars. Well, I should say, the kids really like them, and I love doing it for them.
Several years ago I had this picture in my head on how I wanted them to look like. So I sketched one for Mike's Grandpa, who built me the tree-looking stands for the three older kids. I sewed the little bags that hold a little surprise for every day in December, up to Christmas. Well, Elia was born, and my parents came to visit. My Dad made the stand for Elia, and my Mom made the little bags. Now we added Nina to the clan, and Mike's Dad and Nico made the stand this time around, while Big-Anja sewed the bags. There is such a mix of people who love our kids, and their Advent Calendars are a beautiful reflection of that. Mike's Grandpa is no longer with us, but every Advent Season he is here in a special way, and the same goes for my parents who live thousands of miles, and continents away.
The kids were so excited this morning to open their first surprise, and Nina caught on VERY quickly :-))) (AND got into a huge fight with Nico when he prevented her from opening a second sack right away)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, tolle Adventskalender habt ihr da...könnt man glatt neidisch werden und jedes Kind ne andere Farbe und sogar mit Licht...wie süss! Wir sind begeistert!


LG Yvonne & kids

The Ferrill's said...

How pretty Barb! I love seeing different Christmas traditions!
Laine

Musings from Kim K. said...

What a lovely tradition. How special for your little ones.

Blessings,
Kim K.

Buffi Young said...

Ok Barb...you could SO market that idea. I LOVE those advent trees with the gift bags for each day of advent. I would LOVE to do that for our kids. I went all over the place trying to find an advent idea that we liked for the kids. We're combining a few things...but I really like those trees. What a fantastic idea. They are beautiful too!! You have a very creative family!!! Thanks so much for sharing. I too LOVE this time of year!! Have a great day!
Buffi

Keisha said...

Hi Barb,
I love the trees! That is a great idea! & you too have a beautiful family. Looks like we received our China babies at around the same time..how cool is that?!
Sorry it wasn't my website with the I-pod raffle... Just trying to sell some blog templates for Hope's Heart. If you're interested let me know.
Thanks for stopping by!
Keisha

Keisha said...

Hey, it's me again. I think that I may have run across that sight you were looking for.. funny isn't it?...
http://thehappyhoppes.blogspot.com/
I saw it today and thought I would share.
Have a great Day!
Keisha