Saturday, December 29, 2007

St. Nikolaus Day

Celebrating St. Nikolaus, or "Samichlaus" (what he is called in Swiss German) on December 6th is one of my favorite Advent traditions. He doesn't bring gifts, but "Samichlaus" usually brings treats (peanuts, chocolate, clementines and gingerbread are the traditional ones), along with a letter to the kids that talks about their "good" and "bad" deeds throughout the year. This year we did a "basic" version of it, as I did not get the preparations done in time.
What I really like about it, is that you can focus on "Santa" separate from Christmas, and then focus on Christ at Christmas time.
Baking gingerbread boy looking "creatures" out of bread dough is another tradition on December 6th (= Grittibaenz). The kids really like this part, as they are so proud of their accomplishment.
(And they had to make them anatomically correct, too, but I will spare you from those pictures *LOL*)





2 comments:

Hanna said...

Gseht us wie bi öis! Looks like Swiss Samichlaus!
lg
Hanna

The Ferrill's said...

Oh I love these ideas! I love to see all the different ways people celebrate, Barb! thank you for sharing!