Wednesday, December 12, 2007

A parable about the King


I mentioned this book in an earlier post, and I'm finally getting around to elaborating about it a bit more. If you are looking for a last minute christmas gift for a girl, I can HIGHLY recommend this book.
It is a girly, princess-y version of the prodigal son, and it's beautifully written.

Here is an excerpt from it - it's actually the end of the story, and I'm starting at the point where the princess returns to the palace.

"Gently, the King knelt down beside her and pulled her into his strong, comforting arms. 'Come here, my child, my princess,' he said.
"But I'm not a princess anymore.... I'm just like them,' she sobbed. 'Ah, my child, you may have acted like them, but you are not one of them. You are mine, and you will never be happy until you accept both the privilege and responsibility that goes with belonging to me.'
.....
As the King walked out of the room, the dim light softly illuminated his royal robe, which was now smudged with dirt. Tears filled the princess' eyes, 'Look what I have done to the King's robe. Never again,' she whispered, apologizing to the King. Sensing her broken heart, the King turned and spoke softly, 'Yes, my child, there will be other times, but I will open the door every time you knock and I will always love you.... ever, again.'
And this story has no end."

3 comments:

The Ferrill's said...

Oh this looks beautiful...thanks for sharing! :)

Musings from Kim K. said...

Very touching. The drawings are beautiful. I'm adding this to our never ending list of books to read.

Love,
Kim K.

Sonya said...

WOW! Thanks so much for sharing! I am a HUGE Beth fan! I will go get this book tomorrow!!!