Friday, October 31, 2008

That's right, I was going to tell you about our pumpkins....

Now without "revealing" too much personal info, we live in a town that has a Wal Mart, a K-Mart, and three grocery stores. Yesterday afternoon we set out to buy some pumpkins for us to carve.
Others were too. Obviously.
NO PUMPKINS WERE TO BE FOUND - anywhere in town (and stealing it from the neighbor's yard somehow did not seem like the right thing to do *LOL*).

We were really bummed. After all, the temperature was close to 70 degrees, and we could have carved pumpkins outside!! Not something that happens every year in Wyoming!

That's when I broke down and bought the gingerbread haunted house that was on sale, and that I was sure would taste horrible (it does!). But I knew it would pacify the kids.
I told Anya before our last grocery stop that it would have to be God if there were any pumpkins. You already know the rest of the story - there weren't any.


Then it was time for us to go to Nina's preschool, and she had a cute little Halloween celebration. We played games, ate snacks... Nina was happy....
Before we left, Anya told one of Nina's teachers that we tried to buy pumpkins, but that there weren't any left in any of the stores. Then God - I mean, Miss Marcia - said to Anya: "Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. We have 2 big pumpkins right here, we'll throw them away after today, why don't you take them home with you!"

And so we walked out of there with 2 big pumpkins, one small one, and even 2 little mini-pumpkins!! Praise God!!


I had bought one pumpkin a while ago, and to my surprise, the cold nights had not turned it to mush yet, so we had plenty of pumpkins to carve!!




4 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

I love your pumpkin story and I'm glad it had a happy ending. I have to say that the gingerbread house is a pretty neat alternative. I might have find one at Target for next year's decorating adventures. Love ya!!

Tami said...

Glad you found some pumpkins.... Great job with the faces!! My boys look forward to carving theirs every year;-). Hope you had fun trick or treating!

Buffi Young said...

Ok...the dog costumes are crackin me up!!! SO CUTE!!! And your breakfast...uh...wow....that is such a neat tradition. I bet you have a lot of fun doing that!! :) What a precious story too about the pumpkins. I feel terrible because we STILL haven't done pumpkins or ANYTHING like it. We didn't do the farm this year either. We're too busy I guess. We did do Harvest Fest...mainly because we worked it! :) The kids had a good time though. I've got to see if I have any good pix! I LOVE yours though!!! Hope you guys have a wonderful weekend. I'm going to get Mark to look at your advent trees next to see if he can make them!!! Hey...what's the pattern for the little bags? Do you mind sharing them? Talk soon!
Blessings,
Buffi

Anonymous said...

where in the world do they not have pumkins at this time of the year? Not that I am really asking, just astounded!