Friday, October 31, 2008

The power of looking back...

Looking FORWARD seems to be the progressive and efficient way to look at things.
Don't dwell on the past.
Keep going.


I, however, find much peace in looking BACK.
Cherishing memories.
Thinking of tiny little toes and scrunched up little faces.
Recalling funny stories, like Nico asking: "Do they play tennis in Tennessee?"


In adoption, there is very little past, or at least very little KNOWN past, and very little TOGETHER past.
Still, I love to look back at our time with Nina. Really, adopting her has not been the easiest thing I have done in my life, even though I have NO regrets.
But looking BACK at our early pictures with her, feeling those feelings of "love at first sight" all over again, are very powerful when I feel overwhelmed and defeated.
It helps me feel at peace, knowing how far we have come. Seeing her grow up, I see how the Lord's arms have carried us this entire time.
I see us as a family...


It's been a year since I took these pictures - It was such a beautiful, warm Fall day, and I love the pictures, as they captured Nina so well.

This afternoon the weather was even nicer, I think, so we went back to the same place (really, just down the street from our house), for a quick "one year later" photo shoot. Now Miss Nina is not as eager of a subject anymore, but I was able to get some CUTE pictures of her. Isn't it amazing how much she has grown???

(I have more pictures, but these are some of my favorites)

3 comments:

Buffi Young said...

She is SO beautiful! Her smile is so precious!! She really has changed, hasn't she? I've recently been looking back at Sadie's pix too and I can't believe how much she's changed this year. It is so amazing, isn't it? I have been terrible this year because I do not have one Fall picture of the kids. I've got to get on the ball!!! I love Fall pictures. The colors are my favorite!! Anyway...I love the way you expressed your feelings. It hasn't been easy...but it has been such a blessing. Same for us too! :) (by the way...Sadie just saw Nina's picture and asked if it was her! hee hee....so funny! I told her it was Nina and she is from China too! Sadie thought that was cool!) Have a blessed day!
Love ya,
Buffi

Musings from Kim K. said...

What a lovely post. You always do such a nice job with your reflective writing. As always, those are lovely pictures of Nina. That pumpkin sweater is pretty darn cute too. Happy Halloween!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, she is so pretty!!!
Yeah, the pumpkin jumper is REALLY so cute and suits her so well.


Yvonne