Thursday, September 18, 2008

Jet lag is a beautiful thing *Haha*

We made it!
Good kids, uneventful flights (no turbulences, thank God!), and now they are SLEEPING! I think Nina and Elia are going on 15 - 16 hours right now. And they are OUT. I've tried waking them up, but no such luck. It's almost noon here by now, and it would probably be good if their day would start sometime soon :-))
Elia was SO excited when we boarded our first flight (in one of those tiny little airplanes). Although this was his third time making this overseas trip, it seemed so new to him, and his eyes sparkled, and he laughed and talked pretty much nonstop. It was this kind of talk:
"Mama, is the plane gonna go fast now? Hey, Nina, the plane is going to go super fast - oh, it's going...... uhhhhhh, this is fun....... ohhhh, this is scary, we're going to die, whheeeeee......, yeah, we're up in the air now..... " all the while his eyes are huge with excitement. He is so funny!
Our "big" plane, leaving from Salt Lake City a couple of hours later, however, had Nina totally stumped. A couple of hours into the flight, while we're served dinner, she asked: "Mama, are we eating dinner just sitting here on the ground? " She seriously did not believe me when I told her we had been flying for quite some time already. Gotta love those big, smooth planes!
Anyway, we had quite a welcome reception at the airport, and the kids were so excited to see the family they love, but see so rarely. Nina was a little shy since she really didn't know anyone except for my sister, her youngest daughter, and Big'e Anja.
She definitely has some fears in her little heart about the finality of this trip. We've talked quite a bit about VISITING , and then going back HOME, but she has made comments about having to stay here. Last time she flew with us, it was a final thing too, and even though she doesn't seem afraid, she has to learn again that she is stuck with us forever (poor thing! Haha!), and we're not going anywhere without her.
They both received some sweet treats from their favorite "Gotti's" (=Godmothers), and that of course won Nina over right away!
Did I ever tell her that in EVERY report from China is said that she loved candy. Boy, that was the truth!
Anyway, I will try to do some blogging while I'm here (Yes, I feel like a total geek now, I traveled with my laptop for the first time ever!), and even though the weather is cold and a bit gloomy (welcome to a Swiss Fall!), I'll hopefully get some nice scenery shots for all of you! If there is something in particular that interests you, let me know!
I'll leave you with a picture of my sleeping beauties - about 15 hours into their "night" :-))



6 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

I'm glad you arrived safe and sound. I can't wait to see pictures. Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Hey Babs
even if you`re in the same country than I am I thought I`d write a comment. =) Thank you for posting! And welcome to the swiss fall =) I think it`s cold, too because a week ago it was quite warm... Even though it`s cold, enjoy your sojourn in Switzerland! =)

Nadi

Brandee said...

thanks for posting. i have been wondering about the flight and prayed you had a great 'wonderfully uneventful' one, as mom says. it's been super hot here, mid-80's, figures, eh? I hope you have a fabulous time!

Anonymous said...

Great you made it!
Sweet photos!
Enjoy your stay in Europe!!!


Love,
Yvonne

Buffi Young said...

What a trip!! OH my....what a statement "we're going to die!! " YIKES....that is so NOT what I would want to hear. I am not a fan of flying. Since my brother was killed in a plane crash....UGH....flying, I dread. It was a MIRACLE I actually made it to China!!!

I hope yall have a good time. For some reason I was thinking you were back. That tells you how out of it I am. Have a wonderful time!! I cannot wait to see pictures. Mark and I want to travel to Europe for our 20th wedding anniversary. We thought that would be fun!!! So...seeing the pics of you guys will be awesome! have a great weekend!
Buffi

Linda said...

I'm so glad to hear your update. I wasn't sure if you would be blogging or not while on vacation, but I'm pleased you decided to feel "like a geek" and took your laptop!

As a sidenote, when I read your comment on my blog, I was half embarrassed that I used one of your pictures without even asking permission. It was just such a good one that I wanted to give it a little air time!

If you're taking requests, I want pictures of the goat herds on the mountains with your kids standing in the midst of them. Am I being a little too specific? - lol! I really do picture Switzerland just as described in the book, Heidi!