Sunday, July 6, 2008

My new toy, a "superkitten", post placement and more from the orthodontist front

I'm so excited - I ordered myself a new digital camera last week! My little point-and-shoot camera died several weeks ago when a boy who shall remain name-less kept messing with the shutter, and managed to ruin the same part.

I have been using Anya's camera for quite some time now, and although she has been very gracious about it, it annoys her. It's hers, and she got it as a gift from her aunt Kami.

I understand. I so understand!

Thank goodness, the awesome direct-sales company that I'm a consultant for (and have been for four years) has a cool reward points program, and since I have been saving my points for a long time, I'm now able to "buy" a pretty nice camera for FREE! Wohoo! I'm sure it will be a learning curve, but I'm excited about this new photographic adventure!!
This camera is said to have a huge zoom lens on it, and I'm looking forward to playing with that. I LOVE close-ups! Someday I would like to get a VERY nice camera, but that's just not a priority right now. I just gave myself an early Christmas present. Gotta do that every so often :-))
As far as the direct sales company goes, you are more than welcome to take a peek here. I'll be happy to give you the link to my personal website, but I can't do it on a public blog (company policy AND my personal privacy concerns). Email me if you would like me to send it to you!

********************

On a happy and sad note - Gandalf the gray left us today and joined her new family. They are good friends of ours, and we're all happy that we will be able to see this cute little furball in the future. Her new name will be "Ophelia" (their kids came up with that one :-) )
One of Gandalf/Ophelia's sisters however had some "superkitten" ideas today, although I really don't think it was intentional that she hurled herself off our 10 foot plant shelf. I heard a big "thud", and the only thing out of place was a dizzy little kitten. I guess "Rocket" was the right name for her after all. So far so good - she seems to be okay, and we are sure happy about this!

********************

We had our last post-placement visit yesterday! I really, really like our social worker, and she has always been very encouraging and understanding. All we have left now, as far as formalities go, is the re-adoption procedure. We have the paperwork filed, and will have it all completed in hopefully a few weeks.
**********************

Anya started her orthodontic journey earlier this year (poor girl has NO room for her lower teeth), and was recently fitted with a bottom retainer to keep things from getting worse, until she has more of her permanent teeth. She will have braces after that. We assumed we would get a break for a while.

NOT.

I took Alex for his cleaning last week, and he had his first set of XRays taken. He also JUST lost his first 2 teeth within the last couple of weeks. He thinks he is pretty big now. Well, his XRays revealed that he has 2 permanent top teeth MISSING! Ughhh! Does this poor kid EVER get a break???? He has the 2 front teeth, but then the 2 right next to it are simply not there! Needless to say, they strongly recommend to see the orthodontist right away, so they can develop a treatment plan before he actually loses the affected baby teeth. He is quite excited about seeing the orthodontist, as he has heard all the cool stories from his siblings, and can't wait to try out all the video games at their office himself!! Gotta love the perspective of a 7 year old!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Barb
Oh about the teeth, it`s very strange because by Hannes, Simon and Danielle are teeth missing, too! This could be a gene of the Keller family =) But what seems more strange to me is, that by my twin sister there are 2 teeth missing and by me there are all in even if we are monovular, and then it should be identic. After all my teeth stories I wish you a good week. Do you have summer holidays, too? Because we have now 5 weeks!!! =) Greetings from the rainy Niederbottigen
Nadi

Musings from Kim K. said...

I can't wait to see all your cool new pictures with your super fun new camera.

Reassure your kiddos that orthodontic work can be fun. Emma went through all kinds of dental appliances last year and even got to pick new colored bands at every appointment. She even had bright orange bands at Halloween.

Congratulations on your post-placement visit. Hard to believe that it's been a whole year with Nina. I've loved every minute of it.

Hugs,
Kim K.

Sherri said...

We've been through the orthodontist with all 4 of our bio kids. We had the space maintainer to keep room for the permanent teeth, like what you're going to have. We've had head gear, expansion devices to widen the palate.....you name it. We joke that our only hope to have kids who don't need orthodontics is to adopt kids.

Isn't it a HUGE relief to be done with the post-placement visit and have the readoption in place? Not that it changes anything, but it gets you one step closer to "normal".

I got a new camera recently, too! I really need to learn everything about it before Sarah goes back to college (she shows me what to do!)

Sherri

Anonymous said...

First of all congrats to your new camera, can't wait to see all the close ups! Hehe...
Second of all congrats to your last visit from the social worker, can imagine that is has been a long time and now you can get a bit closer to the normal life, I agree.
About teeth, I can't really comment that one because mine haven't got any problems with their teeth so far, so fingers crossed!


Yvonne

Buffi Young said...

LOVE the camera!! We've been looking at getting a new one too!!! Let us know if you like this one!! :)

I can't imagine going through the dental issue thing. UGH! Sophie is probably not going to need braces...but we've already been told by the dentist that Silas DEFINITELY will. I guess we still have time to pray for a miracle!! Oh well....

So glad you had your final post placement visit. I look forward to getting that done too. It should come really soon!! So hard to believe that it's been a year! WOW!!

Gotta run. Have a wonderful week.
Buffi

The Ferrill's said...

Hey Barb!
How was the Kit movie? And I love Nina's little mix-up of words..what a cutie!
Oh orthodontic work...I think Quan is going to definitely need the most of ours...so far anyhow! ;)
Love the new camera and can't wait to see pics! Yay for the final post placement! WOW! We too have just started the re-adoption paperwork...
Great update!

Julie said...

Barb,
Amazing it has been a year since we were in China. Feeling so blessed this time of year. I tagged you on my blog to list "My life in 6 words". Play along if you like. Go to my blog for details. Happy Belated Anniversary!
Julie

Tami said...

We'll be a regular in the orthodontist office as well.....Nathan has an upper and lower spacer due to his 6year molars pushing out baby teeth....he's definitely going to need some major work done, poor kid!

Glad your kittens are finding homes:-).