Saturday, April 26, 2008

You're not going to believe this.....

It's almost midnight, and Midnight, our black kitty, is GIVING BIRTH as we speak!! I didn't think she was 'due' for at least another week, but I guess cats are as unpredictable as women *ha*.
This is way too tense for me to watch, so I thought I'd update the blog instead. I'm a wuss, I know!
Three have been born so far, all of them are black. She is cleaning up the third one right now!
Nico woke up, and is watching her too! We decided to wake Anya as well, and she was out of bed in a split-second after she heard the news! We figured that this was a unique experience for both of them, as this will be Midnight's only litter!
Oh, yeah, and GUESS where she is having her kittens..... ON MY BED!!!!! (That was NOT my choice, but by the time we found her, it was too late)
Thank goodness for a waterproof mattress pad!!!!
More tomorrow, and pictures, too!
*****
It is morning now, and I moved the Mama kitty off my bed and into her post-partum suite...(aka a very, very old suitcase!) - she was not too impressed with that, but I would really like to sleep in my own CLEAN bed tonight :-) . Needless to say, my bedding is in the wash, and I'm running a SANITIZING cycle on it!
The four little ones are doing well, lots of baby-miaowing going on.
Here is a quick video clip of last night's happenings.
Trust me, there WILL be more pictures, but Mama Midnight is a little leery of all the commotion this morning, and I'm trying to keep the kids away, as she clearly doesn't appreciate their presence.



Afternoon update:
Midnight is a good little Kitty-Mama, and the kittens are doing great. She lets the kids watch her and pet her now, but prefers it quiet. She went outside for the first time, and I seized the opportunity to get some kitten-only pictures. Usually they are all snuggled up to Midnight, and it's hard to really see them, since they're all black. They are SO SOFT!!!
Mike and I were talking about if this gives us a tiny little glimpse into our future as Grandparents.... :-))

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hallo Zäme, So kuhl jetzt gits na meh vo minere lieblings Chatz;-)
Liebe Gruäss Big'e Anja

Hanna said...

Hey, das isch scho de Kaya ihri Lieblings-Chatz!!! Miau, miau, miau, miau, miau!

Love
Hanna & Co.

Tami said...

How exciting! Glad to hear Mama Midnight and kittens are doing fine. I can tell you're definitely an animal lover by letting her remain in your bed to give birth! Can't wait to see more pictures as they grow;-)

big heiniger family said...

Jööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sherri said...

How precious!

My girls want kittens so bad. I am sooooooooooooooo allergic to cats. :(

Sherri

Hanna said...

Aber Eure Grosskids werden wohl nicht unbemerkt auf Deinem Bett geboren - hahaha!
Hanna

Buffi Young said...

OH MY!! What an exciting evening. I've never seen anything like that...it must be wild!! What did the kids think? The kittens are SO precious. I like kittens...just not cats! :) Thanks for sharing your very interesting evening!!! Hope you can get some rest today!!!
Buffi

Anonymous said...

Hey Babs
Oh they are so sweet, it must have been very exciting to see the birth of those kittens!
Another story: Last night i dreamt about you, meaning Babs and Mike, you were in Switzerland and Nina too! I tried to talk to Nina in English but sometimes i couldn`t find the right words. That`s all I can remember. =) How strange =) I don`t know if your interested in it, but i thought that i should tell you. Have a nice week!
Nadi

Sonya said...

I LOVE CATS!!! BUT I am soooooooooo allergic!!!!
MAKES ME MAD!

The Ferrill's said...

Oh how sweet! As my Dad used to say...'All small things are cute!'
We've experienced a litter of 7 puppies at our house. Growing up I experienced litters of kittens every month it seemed like! It will be something your children will always remember, Barb!
Yall have fun with the kitties! ;)

Musings from Kim K. said...

Nico is very talented. Perhaps he'll be an engineer someday!! What a nice teacher he has to give him the afternoon off (wink wink).

Those kittens are so precious and so tiny. I can't wait to see updates on them.

Barb, thank you for posting about Josie on your blog. All those prayers and well wishes paid off. We are home safe and sound in our own home only 4 days after open heart surgery. My wild little Josie can finally relax and heal in the comfort of our house.

All my love,
Kim Kenward
http://youbelong.net/thekenwards