Wednesday, April 2, 2008

I think she sang a song in chinese....

I can't believe it, but I think I may have caught my daughter singing a song in CHINESE!
We hardly EVER heard Nina speak chinese.
Not even in China.
There were a few words here and there, right in the beginning, but after that, NOTHING. She would not speak to our guides, our chinese speaking friends, nobody.
Tonight, while I was cooking dinner, she sat on the counter, coloring. And then she started singing. It was not a song I had heard before, or that reminded me of any other song, and the words sounded very foreign.
I asked her to sing that beautiful song again, this time with my camera hidden, ready to capture the moment, but she just smiled at me and made something up.
I so want to draw those memories she has out of her, so I can help her preserve them. Her life before us has so much validity, it's so special, and she doesn't ever have to hide it, or pretend like that life didn't exist.
How I hope that her song will return.....

PS: Sorry, no swimming pictures again. Our swim - school pick up - and soccer schedule is a bit hectic right now, so I forgot the camera again!

8 comments:

Sherri said...

That's amazing that you happened to hear that song. I hope Nina will share it with you again. Olivia was 10 months old at adoption, so she doesn't have any memories of the language. But I noticed the other day that Mia was staring intently at a couple of Chinese women who were at Target speaking Chinese. When she hears Chinese, she just kind of drops her head and looks up with her eyes.

Sherri

Linda said...

I hate to say it, Barb, but Nina may not want to preserve those memories. Ruthie was almost three when she joined our family, and the few things we have gotten out of her are NOT pleasant memories that she has any wish to preserve. I am finding that Joanna is the same way. - Having lived in China for 8-1/2 years, she has mostly sad memories of being alone, having no one to take care of her, young nannies who picked favorites of which she was not one, being hungry and scared, the list goes on and on. I do think it's sweet that Nina was singing in Chinese, and I'm glad that you were able to catch it.

Mike and Barb said...

Linda - I'm so glad for your input. However, Nina's memories are good ones - she speaks with much affection of her foster parents, of Julie (the foster care coordinator from LWB), of her friend Susu. I'm sure there are unpleasant memories as well, but what she has SHARED with us, is the good ones. And that's what I would like to help her remember.
Love, Barb

Musings from Kim K. said...

Keep that camera handy. I'm hungry for some more video and pictures of your kiddos.

Love,
Kim

Julie said...

Barb,
I'm sitting here in tears. I so hope she opens up to you about her life in China. Rowan is probably too little to remember, but maybe Nina can give us a glimpse into the life these girls lived and how they feel about their new life. thanks for sharing!
Julie

Buffi Young said...

That's awesome!! Sadie NEVER mentions anything...and if she does...I don't realize it. Do you just bring it up? Do you refer to her other home as a foster home, or what? I have wanted to ask more questions...but just didn't know how to go about it. we ask her if she remembers the day we came to get her and she says yes...but that's it. How awesome you're able to peek into Nina's time in China. Thanks for sharing!
Buffi

The Ferrill's said...

Oh I know how much your heart wants Nina to be able to remember! I feel the same way! Any little peek into their past is a treasure. I will ask Quan about his "old bed" and he seems to remember.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the post about your girls in the early morning! I could just picture everything so vividly and it made me smile and cry! You are SO blessed, and I can't wait to read Anya's first book of poetry! ;)
Thanks for taking time out of your busy days to share with us...blogging helps us slow down and reflect on life, doesn't it?
Love,
Laine

Tami said...

What a special gift! I can imagine your heart must have skipped a few beats listening to her. Praying for you and her that she shares even more;-).
~Tami