Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Preschool pictures.... ooops, I guess not!

Oh, the proud moments...
Nina has been looking forward to Preschool picture day ever since Anya had her school pictures taken last week.
She has preschool twice a week, so yesterday I chose to fore go the quick "let's throw a pony in your hair and brush it at least a little so you don't look like you have a mother who does not care" routine we often times have before preschool (will my life EVER not be rushed??), and washed her hair, blow dried it, and even made it go "under" so beautifully with a round brush. Yes, I do NOT own a curling iron. I'm sure you have noticed my hairdo, and there is just nothing to curl. Never owned one, and if I try my hand on one, I'm sure to burn my sweet daugther's ear (that of course has NOT happened to me - ahem....). Well, her hair was beautiful, we picked out a very cute outfit, and she was SO excited.
Until, until.....
Just making SURE pictures were the day I had in my mind, I called the preschool.
You may have guessed the outcome already.
They were last week.
....
....
....
....

JUST KIDDING.

They are TOMORROW, though, so all the primping was in vain.
Well, I guess not, as spending time with your daughter, making her feel beautiful, is never in vain. In fact, I should probably do it more often, as we both enjoyed it!

I took some pictures anyway. Anya did a good job keeping it light, and most pictures are actually the funny-goofy ones that just make your heart sing.

The "beautiful" ones...
(and really, Nina does NOT have an underbite, even though some of her cute little grins make it look like it!)


The ones that "make my heart sing"




And the "plain silly" ones last :-))


While I'm telling embarrassing stories, do you want to hear another one?
THIS one is really bad.
And true.
Sadly.
It was the day before Halloween, and Nina went to ballet (which she loves).
When we got there, I noticed all the little girls wearing beautiful princess costumes over their leotards.
"That's right!" - I thought, as I faintly remembered something about the girls being able to dress up. Not sure where I had heard about it, but if there is not something in WRITING, more than likely I will not remember to actually do it when the time comes (I used to get so annoyed with reminder phone calls from Dr's offices - after all, who do they think I am? - I would NEVER forget an important thing like that! NOW, however, I'm even inclined to ask my HAIRDRESSER to give me a reminder call, heck, if the grocery store would just call me and remind me that I only have 2 drops of milk left, I would LOVE it!!)
Anyway, back to the original story. I think I'm procrastinating telling you the truth, and nothing but the truth....
I decided - "well, there is no use driving home to get a costume now, Nina just has to do without, and she can dress up later at home". Sounded VERY reasonable. Off I went, running a couple of errands with Anya.
After 45 minutes, we came back to the studio. Not ONE Mom was waiting in the waiting room. Hmmmm, I thought to myself, this IS kind of odd....
When I peaked through the one-way glass, I froze.
There were all the Moms, dancing with their little princesses.
All of them, except for one little girl with NO fancy dress, who had to twirl around with the instructor, because her Mom had not remembered (and I seriously still don't!) that it was Mom and daughter class.
Nina, thank goodness, was a trooper, and I'm really, really hoping that this will be a memory that she will forget *sigh*
And why am I telling you all this? Honestly, I'm not sure. Maybe because I don't want you to EVER think that I'm some kind of Super-Mom.
Just like you, I live by grace, and by knowing that no matter my shortcomings, God is in control, and HE loves my kids more than I ever could.
And it is my prayer that because of my failures and faults, my kids will turn to the God who will never "fail them nor forsake them", and they will find comfort in HIM!

5 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

I love you, Barb. Your honesty is awesome. You can chalk this post up to being HUMAN. It's too hard to be a super woman all the time. Hugs.

PS. Your idea about the grocery store alerting you to low milk and other items would be brillant. I would LOVE this feature.

Anonymous said...

WOW!
Great post and lovely lovely lovely pictures, I love all of them!
Nina has grown so much and she looks so happy and pretty!


Yvonne

Brandee said...

well, spandex doesn't look good on anyone, and capes are nothing but trouble. you are my motherhood beacon! love ya!

Buffi Young said...

Oh wow Barb....bless your heart and Nina's too! I am always so worried I'll forget somethign like that too. As mom's we never want to see our little ones go through tough times.....but it is SO good that when we do fail (and we ALWAYS do)..that we can point them back to the Lord and show them that He never fails us!!! I'm so gratful you shared this! Thanks for your honesty!! It makes all of us other moms realize we're not alone!!!

By the way....I read your post above about Nina's picture day at school...don't you just hate when that happens. I missed Sophie's school Christmas pictures this last week. I didn't know it was picture day and that they had to dress Christmasy. So, needless to say....we won't be purchasing these pix with Sophie in a lavendar t-shirt, sitting by a Christmas tree with Santa peering over her! That's ok... I LOVE all the ones of Nina though. She has the BEST SMILE!! Sadie has a great smile too...but every time we get the camera out now...we get that fake smile and I really don't like that. I'll be glad when she get's out of that stage.

Hope you have a fantastic day!! I've gotta get some ribbon so I can do some more sewing!!! :)Talk soon!!
Blessings,
Buffi

Linda said...

I have to admit that I felt a great sigh of relief when I read your story because now I know that I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE!!!! Okay, now that that is out of my system, it does make you feel awful, doesn't it?! I hate disappointing my kids, and yet the more I have, the more scatter-brained I become. (Wow!, Do you think maybe there is a connection? - lol!) You do such a good job, Barb, that I don't think you need to dwell on this too long.